Why are most 3 series autos? More on transmissions

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Riding the clutch is a quick and sure way to ensure it's early demise. Mike.
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:15:14 -0500, "Bubbles"

Dude, your last statement just proves you have no clue how to drive a manual shift. Riding the clutch is the worst thing to do. You should never have your foot on the clutch, except to shift gears. If you "ride the clutch" you are either blonder then blonde, or you just don't care about your car.

How many clutches have you had replaced so far. With your "driving style" it must be quite an expensive habit.
anything apart from a basic 318/320 without an auto will be difficult to sell.
its what punters want NOT what BMW want to sell
Sorry , I did not mean "ride" in the literal sense. It was more a comparison between auto/manual... brakes/clutch - you have to press on one when in traffic. I have never "ridden" my clutch as you interpreted. I have had 8 manual cars, 3 of which BMW, never, ever replaced a clutch, ever. Old, new, e30, e28, e46. No "burnt clutch smell" comes out of my cars, even at the track.
I actually totally agree with what you said, it just doesn't apply to me ;)
Thanks for your input, but if you read what I have written, you'll notice that I am not the douchweasle in this thread!

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:31:47 -0500, "Bubbles"

10-4 ;-)
I loved my manuals, but I got two steptronics now. I guess I'm getting old and lazy lol Seriously, I would never had bought an auto BMW, but after test driving my first one (e-46 xi), I was amazed how smooth and agile it was. I was raised on manual shifts, but I don't think it makes a big difference anymore (unless you do a lot of track driving/racing like it sounds you might be doing). Especially in the city traffic I face every day. But even when I am out in the country side, my steptronic suits me just fine. Especially in sports mode. I don't use the manual mode, and neither does the missus in her e91-328xiT By the way, she's a petite, and would love to get back into a manual tranny, but she can't reach the clutch good enough when she's in these inline six bimmers. There's to much legroom in these and even with the seat all the way up to the wheel, she can reach it but not comfortably to completely engage the clutch. If she had a manual 3-series inline six, she would ruin a clutch in no time. That's the main reason really why we both picked the steptronic.

You hear that a lot from the junveniles in this ng who drive the $3000 bummers.

Silly youngster talk is all it is.

Where do you get this crap? Most people buy autos because they less trouble to drive. And no one thinks of putting a manual in a luxury car, for good reason.

Chuckle

I had a cheap Mazda GLC for ten years, and put 135k miles on it before I sold it, still running like a top. The ONLY time I ever had even a hint of a problem with the auto trans was the morning we set an all-time record low temp here in Atlanta, -8 F. That morning the little trans was hesitant shifting on my initial drive-off, but after warm-up, it was its usual steady self.

It's really easy to understand, actually. They did it to increase profits, i.e. cheat customers.

One of my cars is a manual, but I got an auto in the Bummer because my wife just doesn't do manual well, plus, the Bummer I have just wouldn't seem right with a manual.

Complicated yes, but auto trannies were perfected long ago. The only reason they fail now is cheap manufacture/design, or abuse of course. It's ironinc that Americans wrote the book on auto trannies, but American car makers are known for producing shitty ones now.

The GM autos that failed in BMWs were designed and built in France.
FloydR

So GM have more than one design centre for autos? Weird.
Anyone know just why they chose to fit the inferior 4 speed GM transmission for the US while the rest of the world got the 5 speed ZF? If it were made in the US - like the battery - it would make some sense as local content. But made in France?
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It appeared to me that the model with the most complaints on the Web page cited was the 2000 323i, which has a 5-speed GM, or a ZF if made after March of 2000.
Does ZF=Steptronic in this context?

IIRC, both GM and ZF boxes had the Steptronic system - it's merely a slightly different control mechanism and shouldn't make any difference to the life of the basic box.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

"kpb" wrote

I don't understand your surprise. You're in the US, right? Majority of transmissions here are automatic, and that goes for any car/truck/suv, not just the 3-series. That is just what an average American prefers.
Pete

I was talking recently to my local BMW dealer, and when I asked he thought for a moment and guessed that between 5% and 10% of the new cars they currently sell are true manual transmissions.
--
Dan.