Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 1 of 8
Got to admit it BMW's are the best cars around.
I'll Trink to dat !

M3 Fan wrote:

Not a particularly inventive troll.
Graham
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:45:25 +0000, Eeyore

Probably drives a FORD and wishes it was a BMW
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Or he owns a BMW in need of costly repairs and wishes he had a Toyota that needed none.
Sorry.
- nopcbs
M3 Fan typed:

You forgot your pills again .........
--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.

Just don't do it while you're driving one!

I don't think that I would go quite that far, but when I first had a BMW I noticed immediately the extra looks that it attracted from both other motorists and pedestrians alike. After years of driving Fords I now get people regularly commenting admiringly about my car when I arrive to meet them - very strange.

I suspect those individuals behind the wheel of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, Porsches, etc pay monstrously large fees to their psychologists as they attempt to deal with their inferiority complexes.
R / John
Ivan Marsh wrote:

The E46 is just the perfect car for me. I don't like any of the new cars as much. They're all getting too big. What are the options for a sub-3500-pound RWD sedan? The E90 is close, but still larger than what I'd prefer...

More likely they pay it to their mechanic, instead of their psychologists. --scott

wrote in message

If you think BMW's maintenance costs are high, you've been denied exposure to some REAL costs of ownership. You can buy a nice, low miles, previously owned Ferrari ten years old and spend ten thousand or more just attending to those things to make it right. OTOH, it costs little more to fully restore a 63 GTO (market value around $10M) than it does to attend to a similar vintage 250 GTE (high five figures at best), if the level of restoration is similar. R / John

Mine was a succession of lease cars till a year or so ago, I took it to BMW once and although I cancelled 3/4 of the things they wanted to do, mostly utterly ridiculous things like replacing all the door seals, it still came to 1200, I should have really said, stop, I'll take the car away. I take it to Hyundai main dealer now. Its put me off buying another, I fancy the Alfa GT.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Wait a minute -- you're concerned about BMW maintenance costs, so now you're considering an Alfa?
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my entire life! 8;)
-- Larry (previous owner of five Alfas...)

Are you suggesting that from a performance and drivability of a bimmer is anywhere close to that of a Ferrari or a Porsche? thats a serious lack of education there.... they arent even close. Thats akin to comparing your M3 to a Chevy Cobalt... seriously... bimmers are great cars, but they dont run with the super car crowd on any level.

Do people actually buy a DAEWOO with a GM-CHEVY badge on and think it is really a Chevy?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Depends on which bimmer you're comparing to which Ferrari or Porsche. Most Porsche are not super cars, and if you look I'm sure you can find some BMWs that outperform some Ferrari models.
Okay, can you fish out an example? Cause Im thinking you could put an older testarossa up against a current year M3 or M5 and maybe beat the ferrari on handling. But on a car for car comparison there is none, You could possibly run a Dinan stage3 M5 up against a 911 gt3 RS. But to put it up against something like a Ferrari or lotus, lamborghini etc... is just ridiculous. This reminds me of the kind of conversations that go on in a civic forum where the Civic guy says that his civic is just as good as any bimmer, only reason to buy a bimmer is cause you are compensating. it doesnt make any sense. Im not trolling here, just asking that the anti-exotic comments are looked at for how ridiculous they are.

Ever heard of an M1? -- C.R. Krieger

really... youre going to put that against the porsches and ferraris of the same day? M1: Base Price: $41,000 Capacity: 3453cc Power: 277hp @ 6500rpm Torque: 243lb @ 5000rpm Weight: 3175lb Max Speed: 162mph Acceleration: 0-100kmh(62mph) in 5.6sec
1978-79 930 Turbo Base Price: $65,000 0-60 mph 4.9 Seconds (Road & Track) Top Speed 165 mph (Road & Track) Max Horsepower: 265 @ 5500 rpms Max Torque: 290 ft-lb @ 4000 rpms Weight: 2867 lbs Engine Displacement: 3299 cc Transmission: 4 speed manual
1984 Testarossa Year: 1984 Make: Ferrari Model: Testarossa Base Price: $87,000 USD Top Speed: 12.2 MPH / 19.6 KPH mile: 13.6 Seconds Lat. Acceleration: 0.87 G 0 - 60 MPH: 5.3 Seconds 0 - 100 MPH: 12.2 Seconds Gas Mileage: City: 10 MPG / Hwy: 15 MPG Position: Longitudinal Mid Engine Configuration: 180 Degree V12 Valvetrain: DOHC 4 Valves/Cyl Displacement: 301.5 CI / 4942 CC Power: 390.0 BHP / 290.8 KW @ 5750 RPM Torque: 354.0 FT LBS / 480 NM @ 4500 RPM
1982 Lamborghini Countach price $118 000 USD engine V12 valvetrain DOHC 2 Valves / Cyl displacement 4754 cc / 290.1 cu in bore 85.5 mm / 3.37 in stroke 69.0 mm / 2.72 in compression 9.2:1 power 279.6 kw / 374.9 bhp @ 7000 rpm torque 409.5 nm / 302.0 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm drive wheels Mid Engine / RWD top speed 300.0 kph / 186.4 mph 0 - 60 mph 5.6 seconds
1980 Lotus Esprit Essex 210bhp @ 6250rpm, 200lb ft @ 4500rpm. Dry-sump lubrication 150mph top speed (appx) 0-60mph 5.6secs Production: 34 (+11 development cars).
So pretty much the M1 could possibly run with the lambo, at least up to 150... and it could hang neck and neck with the esprit. So again, like I said before, I love the bimmers, but comparing them to the supercars is unfair and saying that the guy that drives a ferrari has a little dick is a ludicrous statement, if you had the $$ you would drive the ferrari or another supercar... but having the $$ is a whole different issue. :)
......if you had the $$ you would drive the ferrari or another supercar... but having the $$ is a whole different issue. :)
If I had the $$ I would drive a Bentley. (but would probably get sick of it and have a BMW as a daily driver.)