Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 2 of 8

so have you driven a bentley and a ferrari to make the comparison? a bentley from what Ive heard is just lux. no "feel of driving". the ferrari on the other hand, is a lot harder to drive around town.. its a good if you live in the country with long winding roads... although uncomfortable if you are driving around for more than an hour or so. Ive driven a 308 and spent about 15 min behind the wheel of an Enzo, and they are amazing... its not about anything but pure performance, the way your stomach sinks into the seat when you drop the clutch and hit second is a feeling unlike anything else. So really? a bentley, then why the bimmer over a merc? Merc is more lux and less drive, where the bimmer is more drive and feel with the lux on top.

I guess so. Read on ...

Let's lop off most of the extraneous information (although noting a significant weight differential against the BMW might matter to some) and take another look at your figures. For starters, not one of the cars for which you listed a price retailed for less than *50% more* than the M1, so in terms of 'bang for the buck' it is the clear winner. Only the Porsche is more than a half second quicker to 60 mph while the only other one to beat it at all (the TR) has 3-4 years more technology development time. The M1's top speed is right in the middle of that pack, too. So I guess I must be missing your point. BMW built a perfectly competent supercar when they tried. They no longer try.

Frankly, no, I wouldn't. While I don't have the money to drive a current super exotic, I certainly *do* have the money to drive something other than the 21-year-old BMW 535is I have as my 'summer' car. I drive it because I like it and because, with it, and my training and experience, I can pretty much outdrive almost everyone else on the road, horsepower or not. With more cash, it might get a turbo ... or with a *whole lot* more cash, a 3.0CSL or a 507 as a stablemate. Maybe even an M1 ... ;^) -- C.R. Krieger

Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?
We don't.
It's BMW drivers who think they are superior.
Other drivers, however, know different.
MBQ

Nah, BMW drivers, like Millwall fans, dont care. Other drivers warble on constantly about BMW drivers.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

drive Passats and Golfs.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Mike...... wrote:

Maybe we BMW drivers secretly envy the drivers of, for example, FWD crap. All that money that could be saved, if only we were so dull-witted and uncaring... 8)

Yeah, I always really wanted a lumbering fake offroader, mind you BMW make one!
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Three. One's just a bit less lumbering than the second, whilst the third wants to be a coupe on stilts.
Oh, and they're all lobbed together by redneck 'merkins.

BMW, sadly, is now making FWD crap as well, too. I'd buy a Mini in an instant if it had proper RWD and if I could get the sport option without having to give up the spare tire. The Mini is actually a fun car and close to the traditional BMW feel. But the FWD and the thought of having to drop that transaxle someday keeps me away. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Well, I don't think FWD is bad in small cars with small motors... or in cars that have no sporting pretensions...

I used to have a small hatch with RWD - great fun!
Drive it like you are rallying it!

Great fun on snow-covered cloverleafs!

But a Mini has never been RWD.....
If you want a silly, over-priced, RWD hatchback, buy a BMW 1-series.
We won't laugh. Much.

The BMW 1-series for people who really, really miss the Chevette.
Steve Firth (%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

<ouch>

I'm not wrong though, am I? They even look similar.

Which A3 do you have?
One of my current temptations is the 3 door 2.0TDI-170 Sport with flappy paddles.

That's another option for me - well, kind of, I could have a 120d ES with SMG (the BMW flappy paddle thing).
But they look so stupid, it doesn't matter how well they drive.
SteveH wrote:

None, any more. I had a 1999 TDI 110. Currently I've got a Fabia vRS, which is nice. Not as plush, but for the money it's a good car. Economical, fast enough, handles OK (bearing in mind it's a VAG FWD Diesel hatch!). The A3 was nice. I know that 'it's just a Golf 4 you pay too much for', but I really liked it, and beyond servicing & a cambelt change it probably only cost a few hundred quid in repairs for 50k miles- and did 48-50 mpg pretty much all the time.

If I had the money or a company car allowance, I'd be there- well there or Golf V. I want a DSG or auto car really- my left leg starts aching in heavy traffic, and the Fabia's clutch is by no means heavy. Problem is, I need diesel for the economy, and I need a smallish car as my drive is short. That limits the choice, and really I just want to stay with VAG, because I'm a fanboi.

the road, but I wouldn't say they looked stupid. Just a bit over-styled.
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Compare apples with apples. There's no way a 2.0 petrol auto A3 would average 50mpg. Not a chance.
Adrian wrote:

economical. A colleauge has a manual diesel 1 series, and loves it, and reports it does 45-47 mpg. I'd like to try one to see what I thought, and I'd also like to try petrol/diesel A3s with DSG. Like I said elsewhere in the thread, I think a BMW 1 with a diesel engine, better seats (the standard ones were not supportive) and (maybe) a manual would be much better for me.
The problem with the 120 was I didn't see much past 28 mpg even in gentle driving. I wasn't expecting high 40s, but it would have been nice to see 35mpg or more. We went on holiday from the midlands to the Scottish highlands in it, and the fuel consumption was noticeable- we did a similar journey in the Fabia vRS recently, and despite maintaining a higher avrage speed, didn't have to stop for fuel this side of Glasgow, like we did in the 120. The slushbox, like I said, was far too keen to shift down. I ended up using the manual shift quite a lot.