Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 5 of 8
Steve Firth wrote:

Eh?
Sounds more like a pathological hatred of BMWs to me. I think it's called trolling.

Since you snipped the explanation that both the Matiz and the BMW were unable to manage a straightforward run up the motorway because both had puny engines I can see how you might, just be able to convince people as feeble-minded as yourself that it was trolling.
And before you start yammering, the motorway was the A24 in Italy. You should try it some day. It's a very good test of ability of a car to sustain long, incredibly long, uphill runs.
Steve Firth wrote:

Let me guess. You picked the best FWD and pitted it against the worst BMW?

Who says that it does?

A 320 is the BMW that almost every twerp who rants about their BMW actually owns.

Anyone who has ever driven both of them.
Steve Firth wrote:

See, BMW no longer even tries to sell 4-bangers in the US - we're too smart for that.
(Just ignore that we elected W as our president. Twice! 8)

Hmm, if you were *that* smart you wouldn't make the cars you do make. Or at least you would learn how to get 100bhp/litre or better from a car and how to o steering and what dampers on the suspension are for.
OTOH I drive mom's shopping trolley, a Ford Explorer, and it's worked well for me. Gets me to the farm up the farm track and covers drives of 1000 miles+ with less fuss and bother than any of the 4-pot Euroboxen can manage.
OTOH the XJR could get me across Europe in a day and when I got out I felt no worse than if I had driven down the road to pick up the shopping. Sadly Les Flics have put paid to crossing Europe at an average speed of 100mph.

Stuff that try the Mondeo Sanitory Towel against the M3.
I would not have the 2.0 if I was buying a 3 I'd have either if the 3.0 engines.

That would be silly, the two as far apart in price and performance as to make the comparison pointless. The only M3 I've ever driven left me underwhelmed. Yes it was fast, pointy and squirty and one could have fun on a track letting the arse hang out. But on the road it was a pointless bit of over-priced undercomfortable tat. IMO it was about in the same league as the Audi S8, but not in a good way. In a "fuck me did someone pay that much to have a car made that's uncomfortable with a really cheap interior feel" sort of way.
I'm probably getting old, strike probably I am getting old. But I preferred my XJR to any Beemer I've ever driven. I prefer my 4xFord to any Beemer I've ever driven. I've had to give up expensive toys in order to fund my wife's attempts to start a new business, but when it's over/up and running I'll be heading back to Jags because the few things about them that disappoint don't disappoint as much as the competition.
I'd have had an NSX if erindoors had approved it.

The BMW 6's are gems of engines, I really like them. I just wish that the rest of car was up to the promise of the steering, handling and engine/transmission. Having interior trim and seats that wouldn't have been out of place in a Sierra is a real disappointment. Even the M3 "leather" feels like vinyl. And the hardboard in the boot is pure Austin-Rover.
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:19:54 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Do it. It's not too late. You won't regret it, I promise. I'm on my second NSX, but don't ask what happened to the first one...

The erindoors is the insuperable obstacle there. I still shudder when I rememebr the incident when I bought a V12 Daimler without telling her in advance. <wince>
She reckons the NSX is a late middle-age posing pouch used to "pull birds". Reminding her that I used to work next door to Ayrton Senna and that it's a homage to him just produces snorts of derision.
Steve Firth (%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"I want to pretend I'm a born-again godder with a huge ego and a thing for auto-erotic self-asphyxiation"...
Steve Firth wrote:

So it's not only people on newsgroups who think you're a tosser?
Steve Firth wrote:

I won't disagree about the seats, the least favorite part of my E46. However, I think the interior is otherwise quite nice. Coming from 90's vintage Hondas and Toyotas, it was quite an upgrade.
I'll note that the newer BMW interiors I do not like as much - the 5 series especially deserves better.

Jaguar XF, Aston DB9 those are proper interiors.

I have come across a few, my boss used to have a 535 (12V 6) and that was quite nice but cramped as anything in the back, a co worker has a 318is coupe and that to be honest is well made and good to drive.
My boss wants a XF and has an Xtype - which is not nice.
TBH if I was going to buy a big saloon I think I'd get a VXR8

The X-type is mostly a cynical piece of marketing. The XK and XJ were the only real Jaguars up until the creation of the XF which seems to be both related to the two big brothers and somethin new for Jaguar in terms of appealing to younger people.

A bit too chest wig for my liking but I understand the attraction.

The XF is nice, it will be a winner. The X types are noisy, seats not good and reliability is not good at all, on a patch in quality on a P reg 318is here at work, also reliability is worst out of the whole company - new transfer box was nasty.

I like the Aussie idea, big V8s in Euro chassis, I hate the way Vauxhall had been going with their Vectras, and other nonsense - OK I did like the Senator/Carlton period.
Mind you I'd settle for an LS2 and suitable gearbox, (and another pair of LPG injectors to alter my 5,6,8 kit)

I can see the attraction but what I really like is V12s. The big V12s are the engines I really admire from BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. I'm disappointed that Jag dropped the V12 in order to pander to the American perception that a V8 is best. It would have been nice if Jag had been able to use what became the Aston V12, but Ford didn't want two companies it owned competing for the same turf.
For a Jagnut, it was sad to see the F-type become the DB7 and the steel XK was a disappointment. However the alloy cars are a joy to look at, be in, and drive. Still a shame that there's no six-litre turbine-smooth V12 available.
If money were no object an XJ13 replica would be on the cards.

V12s only problem is physical size, I'd say over 6l 12 is better than 8.
Car size suitable ranges, get bigger revving is a problem
3 800 - 1500 4 1300 - 2200 (3000 biggest recent - smaller 4 can be better than 3) 5 2000 - 2700 6 2500 - 4000 (more cylinders can work well with bigger capacities) 8 3500 - 5000 10 5000 - 7000 12 6000 - 8000
That said small engines such as 4l V12s can be very interesting.
they were saying:

1.5l v16?