Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 6 of 8

BRM?
says...

IIRC Coventry-Climax built a 1.5 litre flat-16, but there was no power advantage over the V8 so it never made it to production.
--
Halmyre

That's you that is.

I thought it was wrong
I do like the LeMans cars with the V12
Steve Firth wrote:

If I may speak for my fellow Americans, the "perception" is that V12's are hideously expensive, cantankerous beasts. This is partially due to those that Jaguar used to sell us. There's also the perception that more than 8 cylinders is redundant, unless one is chasing the *ultimate* in smoothness.
I see that you prefer Aston and Jaguar interiors, and V12 engines. You must be pretty hard to please. Me, I'll take a BMW I6 and an Audi interior, and I'll be plenty happy.

The only problem with the engines in the USA was that owners didn't maintain them or the dealers didn't maintain them properly. There are a couple of jobs that are expensive because they are time consuming. In consequence basic maintenance would be avoided and the heads would often warp leading to real longterm problems. Jag V12s can be stunningly reliable and the straight six Jag engine was just about bomb-proof.
Mind you most British owners abused the V12s as well.

An 8 doesn't have the inherent balance of a multiple of 6, so IMO it's not "ultimate" smoothness it's just that 6 and 12 works without mucking about with balancer shafts. Sadly V6's don't have the same characteristic and the Cologne 4.0 V6 in my current vehicle is nowhere near as good as the straight 6 4.0 Jag engine. OTOH the Cologne V6 is nowadays very reliable.

I'm not that hard to please, it's just that having experienced those sort of cars everything else is a bit disappointing.
Steve Firth wrote:

I'll just say that a 90-degree V8 can be balanced pretty darn well, and without "balancer shafts". Indeed, I think it's safe to say that, in the history of the world, never has a 90-degree V8 with balancer shaft(s) been made.
Is it as smooth as a 60-degree V12? No, but look at the prices of V12-equipped cars. In sum, I don't think that Americans think that "V8 is the best" - it's just a damn good compromise.

I'll just say that the current Volvo 4.4 V8 has a balance shaft, and IIRC it's the same engine used in the Ford Taurus. Also every GM annnouncement about new V8s for 20010 onwards has featured (a) balance shaft(s). Oh and that a 90 degree V8 isn't really balanced, you have a choice between a single plane crankshaft and an engine that shakes side to side or a two plane crankshaft with an uneven firing order and horribly irregular loads.
Steve Firth wrote:

I've never bothering trying to figure out what makes a V8 sound uneven, but they always give me the impression that one or two plug leads have come undone.
Best wishes all, Dave.
Steve Firth wrote:

That's not a 90-degree V8 and does not disprove my point. So why did you bring it up?

Let's see some evidence that they will produce 90-degree V8's with balance shafts. They won't.
If a company choses to compromise balance to get a more compact engine, that is their engineering trade-off.

Almost no one makes single-plane crankshaft V8's. Ferrari is the only brand I know of, for street cars. This exception does not disprove by point that V8's can be very well balanced and smooth. Why bring it up?

Firing order not relevant to the issue we are discussing. Why bring it up?

Nonsense. A 90-degree V8 with a two-plane crank can be made extremely-well balanced by using counterweights.

Oh FFS are you trying to pretend there are only 90 degree V8s in the world?

YOu seem to be obsessed.

Are you on drugs?

Because it is relevant.

<sigh>
Steve Firth wrote:

Wrong.
Idiot.

Oh dear, you lose.
dizzy wrote:

That seems a fair view to take.
Best wishes all, Dave.

There have been US cars with V-12s. 60 and 120 degrees are naturally fit for 12 Vs. V8 like 90 ddegrees and 180 as well as straight. Buick had a 90 degree V6, but had off-set journals to get an even fireing chart. An inline configuration is fine for any number of cylinders, as long at the throws have equal duration. (Poorly phrased, but you know what I mean.

My Ecotec V6 is pretty smooth.

Only because it has balance shafts, which rob power and add weight.
FloydR

No it doesn't

Could be US vs. UK spec engines. Or perhaps you're right.
However, no V6 engine is as vibration-free as an inline-6.
FloydR

UK (Ellsmere Port) X25XE X30XE Y26SE and Y32SE
both the X25XE and Y26SE are creamy smooth

It has one balance shaft.