Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 7 of 8
wrote

Any idea how much power is lost, Floyd? I ask because the latest 1200cc BMW boxer twins now have balance shafts and are achieving over 100 bhp per litre, roughly 20% more than the previous 1150cc version.
Tom K.

Balance shafts don't rob a lot of power - after all it's just a spinning shaft. However, they do have affect the responsiveness of the engine - it takes power to spin them up (and down). Every competition engine/drivetrain has a "lightened" fly wheel for that very reason.
FloydR
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:12:41 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

The problem is that many manufactures think that lopping off 2 cyls from a V8 will give them a V6 but unless the angle is moved tighter - 60 deg - instead of - 90deg - it will always be out of balance.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

dizzy wrote:

I very much enjoyed the Jaguar V12s when we had them in the family. We had a Series 3 Sovereign and our Michael had an XJ-S. Neither of them were bought new, and we put quite a lot of miles on them, but we had no engine problems that I can recall, so I don't know about them being hideously expensive, cantankerous beasts.
To me they were lovely engines, and if driven steadily on a long journey their fuel consumption was quite respectable, but I've no means of knowing how the Jaguar V12 compared with the V12s produced by BMW or Mercedes.
I agree witb Steve about the V12 being more appealing, and of course it had rarity value compared with an 'ordinary' V8 which although very good, always seem to produce an uneven waffling noise that I never liked.
Ha, uneven and waffly - a bit like me then. :-)
Best wishes all, Dave.

They do that because it's impossible to get a 90 degree V8 to have an even firing sequence and to eliminate vibration at the same time. Even when the crank is balanced with the crank throws spaced at 90 degree intervals the cams will have to be unbalanced and the firing order results in that uneven waffling noise you complain about.
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:09:24 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Otherwise known as the V8 "burble," that many people seem to love for some reason.
Contrast that with the hair raisingly *gorgeous* sound of a flat-plane crank V8 at full chat...
--
Dan.

Yup, sounds great vibrates "quite a bit".
Steve Firth wrote:

Ah, well there we part company for the time being. I can understand the appeal of a powerful high performance car, but I like the performance to be produced in a quiet and refined fashion.
Over on PistonHeads they seem to greatly enjoy the bellow and thunder of a powerful V8 (as in a TVR for example) but I don't think such a device would be very comfortable for travelling long distances. A lot of noise can soon get very tiring. They strike me as an occasional fun car type of thing.
Best wishes all, Dave.

Can't take Jag and Aston serious since they went the Ford Mondeo clone route and didn't stop there because they also transferred over the crap centre console design to extend to half way up the dash. Nothing wrong in that except it's also a FORD ting throughout the UK (and maybe Euro and US) thing and this makes all Jags remind you of the Repmobile Mondeo and when you look at the inside of an Aston there is virtually no difference to the Jag XKE or Mondeo or X type Jag/Mondeo clone.
The new Jag is something else, however, and - had I not bought an E65 7 Series BMW I might (only might) have been persuaded to try a New Jag......?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

I'm sticking with my cheaper RWDs thanks
While feel inferior?
My car is as good as the equivalent 5 series, and has more internal room, doesn't get any snotty attitude which drivers of BMWs and Audis get, and scares some drivers!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@MaM3rulZ.net says...

They don't make me feel inferior, they make me feel smug. I've yet to hear a decent road going BMW go Ptsssch as I pass them.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Your response is proof.

The fact that you have an inferiority complex and have thus resorted to name-calling, automatically makes a BMW user superior. Dat simple, really.
I feel for ya' :-)
M3 Fan wrote:

You keep your hands off Jeff. He might not be into that kinda thing. lol
Best wishes all, Dave.

EEEW!
snipped-for-privacy@MaM3rulZ.net says...

requires a user.
Come back when you can handle a car without ABS, SRS, GPS, TCS, EBA, LSD, SMG, and DVD. Then a driver might take you seriously as more than a user. Definition of a user, someone who owes money to and needs to keep sweet with a dealer.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Yes, it appears far more rhetorical now than when I asked it.

You may like it, but I haven't looked at one for posible purchase since sometime in the 1980s - a beautiful pillar- less white one, with the front that sort of slid down under the car. No room in the back at all, but who cared.
I might go for the first of the 1600 ones from the late 1960s. As it is now, I have another car from that era as my only car and enjoy the hell out of it. Dangerous? Yes! High fuel usage? Yes! Hard to find parts? Not really. Good conversation starter, Yes - and always will be. For daily use, SWMBO comes to the rescue - I wouldn't let her ride in mine as she has had neckbone work and it has low-back seats. OAPdom is for FUN!
Yep. Great for compensating for personal SHORT-comings.
Sorry. If you are going to lob 'em over, someone is going to swing for the fences.
- nopcbs