Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 8 of 8

If you beleive that you should run your m3 up against the next similar classed porsche, lotus or ferrari. The lap times, handling etc... make the bimmer look like you are running a ford against a bimmer. And compensating?? Are you driving your m3 to compensate for your own - short- comings. why didnt you just buy a supra?

Nothing wrong with the 924 and 944. Only Porsche snobs would say otherwise.

914, possibly.
916 was OK, if a little ugly. But still quite cool.
As for 924s, the Audi engined one isn't the quickest thing on 4 wheels, but it's not too shabby and has superb handling. Very cheap to buy these days, too. The 924S is a bit of an oddity, 'cos they're not far off the price of a 944.
944s are very popular as track cars these days, because they're more than powerful enough to get you into trouble and the transaxle in the back gives them excellent balance and handling.
Not forgetting that all 924s and 944s were at least partially galvanised, meaning they rarely suffer from rot and are all very cheap to buy these days.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:18:56 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

And the 914S was one hell of a fine autocrosser...
-- Larry
944 is a great car, they are fast, handle extremely well and are reliable when maintained. the problem is they are cheap, so a lot of people pick them up thinking they are an econo box, drive them hard, then something breaks, they go to get it fixed and the parts alone are 2k. That said, I had a 944 that I picked up for $2500, put about 15-16k into it before I finally cut my losses and sold it for $4500. Its more a labor of love. I just picked up a lotus esprit that Im loving, its excellent on all ends... nothing bad to say about it at all.

Begging the question: *do* other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

of course they do otherwise they wouldn't carp on about us BMW drivers.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Mark W wrote:

I drive a nice smart 406 that is almost eight years old, with 108,000 miles on the clock (the car, not me) and I don't feel inferior to nobody. So there. :-)
Best wishes all, Dave.

Of course you don't Dave. You appear to be level headed and sensible not like the non BMW drivers that are paranoid and cut us up, force us out of traffic lanes, push in at junctions and roundabouts (rotaries) etc.
Some people can't help being jealous - I for one would love a real GT40 (nearly bought one once for $5K but ex-wife ranted about a family car.........we already had one of those.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen

The problem is here in the UK.
Today - Thursday 27 March. I was driving home going as fast as the prevailing other traffic - generally cruising at 70 - 80 following cars and vans not being able to move to the inside lane as it was full of traffic at similar speed. I was being followed by a guy in a Honda Civic 2.0 turbo Diesel.
He could see that there was no room to move to the "slower" lane which was travelling at the same speed. However, at the end of the dual carriageway he overtook me and several other cars and moved down the traffic queue about 300 yards.
At my turn off I notice a black car following a slow moving truck about 400 yards away so I drove as normal around 60 and started to overtake said black car (HONDA CIVIC - no idea if it was the same car that had been following earlier and really couldn't care less at this point). As I started to pass said HONDA it swerved across the lane in front of me causing me to brake and slow - no problem - guy didn't look in mirror - but as he drew alongside the truck cab he slammed the brakes on causing me to brake hard. thinking he had a problem and had suddenly developed a fault I backed off and allowed him to slow (no other traffic) and moved to the other lane to pass him when he accelerated and cut in front again. Thinking he had decided to pull off the road with his problem I again went to drive around the car when he again accelerated and cut across the front of my car. I followed him for another 5 miles with him braking - moving from lane to lane to stop me passing and any other car ( a few had caught up to us now) that wanted to pass his HONDA.
Police have been informed - possibility he was drunk but more likely he didn't like BMW cars. Boom Boom!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Perhaps he will do it to a plain clothes Police car next.
Definately to be reported - I would have to admit I would have bumped into him, then take his insurance to the cleaners

I don't know for sure if you are in the UK Martin (I think you are) but it's very difficult to prove that the car you run into from behind is at fault as one is supposed to - at all times - to keep a reasonable safe braking distance between yourself and the vehicle in front.
If you have witnesses then Ok but I could not be sure the truck driver would stop as a witness or want to get involved and if I had run into his car (rear ended it) it would be - technically - my fault.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

That I do know - but dangerous driving is dangerous driving
SteveH wrote:

I've always fancied a 924. I know they're not highly regarded by many, but I kind of like them.