window problem

Kinda related to the previous post.. but.. I am pretty sure this is not the alarm..
BASICALLY.. the window on the passenger side is supposed to drop when you
open the door.. and rise slightly when you close the door.. (328is E36 coupe 1996) It's not doing this and is permanently stuck in the dropped position.. consequently I get wind whistling when I drive..
I have tried everything and it seems that the drivers side door is fine.. but the interior light telling you when doors are open will NOT illuminate when the doors are open.. (any of the doors)... so I am not sure what the fault is.. Before I had the fault the door window was going bananas.. whenever the door was closed.. rising and lowering that 1/4 inch drop all the time.. but it seems to have settled now.. Other than this.. the windows work perfectly..
It has been suggested.. that it could be the door microswitch (inside the door) .. or the switch in the pillar (door striker switch)...
Any ideas?
Yeah, it'll more than likely be the mircroswitch in the door lock.
Hop onto our forum and ask the same question..
www.e36coupe.com
Already did mate.. they're still looking into it :)

My convertable had this problem. You can test the issue by "closing" the door with yoru finger. You want to mimic the movement of the lock/latch mechanism, so operate the lock with your finger as it is operated when the door is closed. You can press the lock mechanism further than it would normally want to go, and see if it strikes the internal switch that tells the window to jump up.
I was able to remove the door latch assembly and clean the offending switch, all is well now. I found that the mechanism was merely gooey from the years of muck and gunk, and I also found a spring and a small shaft that needed to be cleaned. When I was done, the switch worked wonderfully, and the window goes down and up as it should when the door is opened and closed.

Thanks Jeff.. your idea worked like a charm.. took it off.. cleaned it.. and it's behaving itself now.. :)
Craig

You're welcome. Glad I could help ...