Windshield CRACKED on 2006 525i

Page 1 of 2
I'm driving almost 30 years and never cracked a windshield..
I drove down to south NJ for a meeting and came out an hour later only to find a three-legged spider crack coming from the lower driver side
of the windshield. I freaked out.. Called the cops. Thought I had been vandalized.. I guess a chip on the drive down 287S waited until the car sat in the sun for a while then gave in. One of the cracks was like 12"... Very traumatic for this spoiled little bitch..
Dealer says it's $1,200, $500 deductible through Geico.. so I poke out $1,200 and get back $700... sucks... takes 2 days.. one just to settle and stress test.. Dealer claims it will be better than factory new.. I'm thinking leaks galore..
Anyone have any experience with BMW windshields? Replacement leaks? This is my first time. Be gentle.. ;-)
Oh.. and Tony C. at Prestige BMW in Ramsey is the BEST!!! This guy is hands down the BEST Service Manager I've ever worked with.. and there's been many..
Peace..

it's a cracked screen which could happen to ANY vehicle...............

Try driving a Jeep Wrangler. It's like goin to a rock fight.
Joe '02 325CI '89 Wrangler YJ

I have, I hired a car in Louisiana once for a two month trip and they gave me one of these.............I took the buger back after 2 weeks...............worst vehicle I have ever driven.
Benzo Convert wrote:

You might price the difference between $500 deductible and and $50 deductible for "comprehensive" (which is what covers this, and things like those damn deer throwing themselves in front of your car..)
In the case of NJ Manufacturers - the difference is about $50 a year. Not worth even thinking about it eh? Try driving on Rt 34 in Wall Twsp for a while - with one side lined with gravel pits.. and the road lined with the trucks picking up (and usually overloaded) with the gravel.
Geico NJ:
To change comprehensive deductible from $500 to $50 would be $12/month or $144/year..
I'll just leave it. Would need one claim every 3.5 years to make it worth it.
Oh.. and Geico doesn't save you all that like they advertise.. although claims processing was seamless and hassle free.
On 14 Apr 2006 07:13:58 -0700, "Benzo Convert"

Do they still cancel your policy if they find out you have a radar detector? They used to...

Most insurers have reduced or no-deductible for glass. $1,200 sounds off the charts. Should be less than half that.
R / John
I would agree. Replacement windshield for my 318i last year was $330.

Jack wrote:

That's the same as the GEO Storm, right? That might be the reason.
Benzo Convert wrote: ..

I had a crack in the windshield of my 2003 325i in my first week of ownershership. I got it replaced at the dealer. It cost a little over
$800 back then but I had a $100 deductible for comprehensive. No problems with leaks or anything else.
Anoop
thanks all.
I didn't think $1,200 was that high.. relatively speaking.. I'm sure a headlight assmby is more than that.
I just called one of those come-to-you windshield swap places and they get $600 installed. Interesting..
Benzo Convert wrote:

As a followup to my previous post, the dealer also did keep my car for 2 days claiming they needed to keep it to "dry" for a day. I've also had the windshield replaced on one of my previous cars using my insurance company's come-to-you windshield repair folks. That car was a Civic. The guy did the work in less than an hour. It seemed OK...I didn't have any problems with that either. The glass from the come-to-you place won't have the BMW logo on it. :-)
Anoop
The dealer installed ($1,300) glass doesn't say BMW on it either!! I think the original did.. I need to check that out on another showroom 525i..
Looks the same.. they also claimed (2) days, one for settling/dry....
So I spent 1300 and I get 800 back from Geico..
Benzo Convert wrote:

hmm...my replacement windshield from the dealer does have the BMW logo.
Anoop
Benzo Convert wrote:

What have we learned here?
1) Dealership charges more for the same glass you would have gotten elsewhere
2) Geico is a rip-off and having a $500 deductable on glass replacement when the cost of a windshield only actually costs about that much is like having zero coverage.
3) Consumers are obligated to shop around for their insurance carriers and their auto mechanics.
--
-Fred W

Correction: It's got the logo on it! The registration sticker was covering it....
I'm good. Final bill was $1,314 - $500 deductible.....
I heard a loud crack sound from the windshield on the way home last night.. LOL
Benzo Convert wrote:

Do you have a rain sensor? I have a small dot that I might have repaired rather than replaced on my X5. BTW - no deductibles here in FL. The jury is still out as to rate increases for these repairs.
Dan
Dan Krueger wrote:

I remember MA was the same - $0 deductible for glass, but I didn't ever have to use it while I was there so I don't know about rate increases. In CA glass has the same deductible as comprehensive. I have had my windshield replaced and found it didn't affect my premium.
Anoop
Benzo Convert wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Check my site, click through BMW -> Articles and look at the two windshield replacement articles (yes, I've had this done more than once -- three times, actually). These articles should give you some idea of what's involved.
By the way, leaks are unlikely if the installers have half a brain and have been trained properly. And yes, your dealer is correct -- the new installation will actually be stronger than the factory install because the field installers typically wind up using more adhesive than is strictly necessary (and certainly more than they apply at the factory).
Believe it or not, the window is considered part of the vehicle structure and contributes to crashworthiness, particularly in a rollover situation, hence the reason most installers are fastidious about creating a strong bond between the window and the frame. It's the liability thing, ya know.
Safe driving,
-Doug
-------------------- Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com http://www.dvatp.com --------------------