Windshield: Repair or replace???

Got caught in a bad sandstorm coming back from Palm Springs last week. I slowed to a crawl until I was out of it, but the next day I noticed my windshield was noticably pitted/sandblasted. When driving into the sun or
lights at night, it's pretty hazy from the damage. My insurance will replace it ($100 deductible), but I'm curious if anyone knows of any way to polish this out. Seems like you could remove a thin layer of the surface & clear it up? I've seen some other posts that lead me to believe it is not repairable, but thought I'd tap into the combined brain trust here for other opinions. If it's not repairable, is this a pretty routine replacement? I'm concerned about it being installed correctly - I had a windshield replaced on a Toyota a few years back & water leaked under the paint all around the glass & caused a lot of rust around the windshield. I'd hate for that to happen to my bimmer!! Then there's all that electronics for the rain sensor, etc... Thanks in advance for your thoughts... Barry
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:19:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Don't piss about - get it swapped out.
Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Probably possible to do this, but not a service available in the UK.
In any event give it a good wash first.
What has all this sand done to the paint work or 'under the hood'?

You are mistaken. Probably not widely available, but I had some light scratching polished out of my Rover SD1 windscreen some time ago by a mobile w/screen repair guy. The special electric machine used had a horizontal roller, which was loaded with a fine diamond polishing paste.
Took him about half an hour to polish out the scratches caused by wiper blades that had been used on a dry dirty w/screen, that were bad enough to fail the UK MOT inspection. Cost 40, but still considerably cheaper than a new w/screen.
I suggest the OP rings their local w/sreen repair Co's to find one that may offer a similar service, although to do a whole w/screen may not be an economic alternative to replacing it. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

The difference is - pitting is much deeper than surface scratches caused by dirty wipers. They cannot polish off enough of the screen to eliminate the pits.
No way around it - it needs replacing.

You're possibly right, but that doesn't alter the fact that w/screen polishing 'is' a service available in the UK, contrary to the statement by R.Mark Clayton. Mike.

For $100 deductible it's probably not worth it. Rust only gets in if the paint surface has been damaged and any areas like that should be repainted before the new screen goes back on. On a newish car I don't think it'll be a problem. You do need to make sure the screen is mounted in the correct position to avoid wind noise at speed etc and I'm sure most fitters would do a good job. There are BMW installations procedures around on the internet somewhere and that'll show you all the steps that need to be done.
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:19:21 +0000, bk wrote:

There is no way to polish the window. Just replace it.
If you choose a reputable installer and preferably one that has experience working on BMWs there will be no risk of leaks or scratches that might result in rust.
I recommend you clarify with your installer the type of window to be used. If I were you, I would specify OE. Might take a bit longer to get through the dealer and the OE windows certainly cost more.
Check my site for a couple articles on this process.
-Doug http://www.dvatp.com /
On Feb 16, 8:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

About three months ago I replaced the original windshield on my 1994 325i - it was so badly pitted that it was becoming downright dangerous. Cost me $300 and it's (almost) like having a new car; I should have done it a long time ago.
You could try polishing first. Eastwood has some products that might work:
http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=glass+polish&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search
Martin Bullen '01 740i '97 Z3 2.8 '93 M3
brio wrote:

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=glass+polish&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search
They won't. BTDT - waste of $$$. Works for light scratches (ones that are visible, but your fingernail won't catch on them.) TOTALLY worthless for pitting - which goes much deeper into the glass than light scratches.