windshield wiper fluid pump

so the pump on my windshield wiper fluid box is starting to go (after having my local mechanic check it out, it was leaking fluid slowly and making my windshield washer fluid light go on all too often)
mechanic calls up BMW to get an estimate for the washer pump...he was qouted as saying it was going to cost a couple hundred $$$ to fix(I trust my mechanic, he isnt going to screw me over).....I call Bavauto.com and get a qoute of $35 plus $1.90 for the grommet ring thingy that is a part of the pump...mechanic says if I can get the part cheaper he will only charge me for install (about $35)
ok I know BMW parts bought through the dealership are pricey but the difference between $35 and a couple hundred is a big difference....unless I'm missing something here
my car: 2003 325Ci coupe with about 53500 miles. I checked a few other places online and got similar qoutes to Bavauto.com.....none of them said you need to replace the whole washer fluid box and hoses so I'm assuming just the pump can be replaced...
can the pump be replaced or does the whole unit needs to be replaced?
I bought a washer fluid pump for my daughter's car from AutoZone/Kragen/whatever down on the corner for less than $20. I did have to splice the wires, but the pump fits properly works fine.

Not only can the pump itself be replaced, the grommet (seal) that keeps the thing from leaking can be replaced without changing the pump. I would guess you can fix your leak for less than $5.
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:23:22 -0400, "Bob Smitter"

Sorry to do a semi hi-jack on the thread, but I have a related issue.
My E36 started leaking washer fluid out of the head lamp washer. So much so that I resorted to unplugging the headlamp washer pump and putting a bung in the pipe. My question is, where it the little valve that should prevent this gravity trickle? Is it in the washer mounted in the bumper, is it in the pipework somewhere, or is the pump at fault?
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On my old Rover it was the pump itself that had the valve. Don't know about your car but will look on the CD if I knew the year or last 7 digits of VIN
On 16 Apr 2007 17:52:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You are missing the bit about "we only want to sell you the complete kaboodle - pump loom tank fixing screws so our machanic (Cough) can fit it in 10 mins and we can charge you $200.

See above - unless the tank is split - can happen !