Workshy Inspection 2 on a tight budget?

Hi I've got a 1994 320i Coupe and it's Inspection II time.

I dont do any real work on the car myself so here's my plan for a cheap Inspection II substitute. Have I missed anyting major?

She sounds rough at the moment after 2000miles this month so I guess the oil change is top priority.

Note the Air Filter and Blower was recently changed.

  1. £50(inc oil) oil change and reset from backstreet Mechanic using my own oil. (Castrol GTX)
  2. £20??? Change Sparks myself. - wash hands :)
  3. £?? Change Pads at nearest brake shop - Do Kwik-Spit do decent Pads for Bimmer or should I avoid?
  4. Axle oil change - Probably at same backstreet Mechanic.
  5. Fuel Filter - as above.
  6. Check bulbs & wipers
  7. Check Tyres and replace at local tyre place as necessary (Grays in Eltham)
  8. £00 Lithium Grease(from my cycling days) on door/boot hinges. Wash hands again.
  9. £40 book early MOT for other checks. (MOT is UK road safety check) (KwikFit doing 30% off but I'd rather a real garage. KF will be working hard to get back their 30%)

I havent got all prices do decide whether this is the best route yet. I may start doing more stuff in her in the Summer :)

Anything else?

I used

as a guide.

Cheers, Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

You should get an oil change for less than that including oil - check up the various offers. I got the oil changed on the SDI at Kwik-Fit (Mobile 1 semi-synthetic) for 35 quid all in including filter. And you can watch them doing it.

About 3 quid each from Eurocarparts. But they're not quite so simple as on a Mini. ;-)

Eurocarparts do OEM pads (front) for about 25 quid. Easy to change yourself - but you'll need the correct hex key - under a tenner if you haven't got a suitable one. The discs will need checking too - they wear out pretty fast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lordy wrote in news:Xns972C89C89BDD5lordybigfootcom@140.99.99.130:

Looks like my backstreet garage bloke is winding down for Crimbo already so I may have to get dirty after all with my first oil change ever ....

Reply to
Lordy

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:41:28 GMT, Lordy waffled on about something:

Don't forget the oil filter, and as it's starting to get cold I would be tempted to drain the coolant and refill with a good quality antifreeze.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

The SDI is some car Dave but would you let Kwick-Fit work on your E39 too? Do they have the facilities to reset the service computer? pete

Reply to
turtill

Dear.

Cheap - don't over torque.

Kwik fit can probably get them (but look at Euro Parts), but can they fit them. Don't forget the anti chatter pins, wear detection, ABS etc. ...

Unlikely to be required.

Noddy.

Easy DIY.

Or a large number of other places.

Yep.

Get someone else to do the MOT and then if it fails you can take it back for rectification.

Buy an old Ford if you want to do DIY.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

If it "sounds rough" it's quite unlikely that an oil change is going to rectify that. Oil changes are purely prophylactic, my friend. You won't "hear" engine damage before it happens any more than you'll hear an unwanted pregnancy. ;-)

About the only thing that will cause the engine to run rough that is covered in your scheduled maintenance is the spark plug swap-out. Also, you did not mention what the actual mileage is, but you may be due for the 100k mile O2 sensor replacement, which will also make it run like a pig before it starts to throw "Check Engine" codes

But overall your plan seems a sound one. After all, it is what I do all the time... You don't "need" to pay a hired wrench (at the going hourly rate) to change fluids and filters. It's all easy stuff, it's somewhat recreational and therapeutic in a "zen" sort of way, and you can not-so-coincidentally save your hard earned coin for when you need the "hired gun" for the tricky diagnostic stuff...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Not fully knowing what all this quick-fit and SDI talk is all about... It is completely trivial to reset the service inspection computer, and would not influence my decision about where I have maintenance done, one iota.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in news:dnq9f9$14s$1 @nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

In case you missed it - I dont want to do DIY. But I get the feeling Garages take the p***s with inspection II prices. Which is little more than an oil change, new plugs, a bit-o-grease on hinges and an MOT from what I can see?

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Lordy wrote in news:Xns972CF3B299A72lordybigfootcom@140.99.99.130:

Ooops my bad. I though you comment was regarding my immediate pesudo inspection II schedule. I just realised you was replying to my

"I may start doing more stuff in her in the Summer :)"

statement! I plan to stick to fluids, bulbs and wipers. Even plugs are beginning to sound more complicated than I anticipated!

I used to be able to complete strip my push bike even the hub and the headset. and built my wheels a couple of times. Not the same thing I know but same bit of the brain :) But generally more comfortable than working on a car from the contortions I see some mechanics pull off...

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Malt_Hound wrote in news:h_OdnSU89cfoMD3enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Just about to hit 150K. I'll do some research on that one!

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

He-he my "posh" garage want £86+VAT for just an oil change. The guy corrected me - a "lubrication service".

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in news:dnq9f9$14s$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

I got a 6.5l sump so I usually buy enough oil for two changes (3*4.5) Thats probably why I've priced it so high. I'm also a sucker for Castrol GTX which is probably where I'm going wrong. Any suitably graded oil will do? Anyone tried Adsa or Tesco - or is that going too far!

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

My particular branch yes - if they had the oil required.

I can do that myself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Kwik-Fit is a national chain that do things like tyres, exhausts, brakes, dampers etc. They vary very much from branch to branch - like all these chains. My local one has been pretty good - although I've mainly used them for tyres and exhausts on my old car - not the BMW. The old car is a 20 year Rover SDI - the one with the ex Buick V-8, but brought up to date with injection, and a pretty fast car in its day. Still is, come to that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes of course. I cannot so I will have to stick with my local mech or go to the dealer which means leaving the car overnight usually:-( pete

Reply to
turtill

You can buy a re-set tool from Eurocarparts for 12.26 gpb + vat for pre '98 cars. Post '98 it may be done from the dash.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My car was registered 15th January 98 so it is probably a 97 build. When my mech serviced it he couldn't get the service indicator lights to re-set with the tool he always used. Strangely the service indicator re-set itself when the ignition was turned off while the car was standing 'in gear', and turned back on again. This has always mystified me and the mech. If I knew a 12.26 gbp + vat tool would fix this problem I would buy one for my mech;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

Why can you not? Can't you follow simple instructions? Canb you not find a piece of jumper wire or even a coat hanger or a paper clip (in a pinch)?

Look here for a start...

Malt_Hound

Thank you very much for your excellent post. I am sure it will serve me well when my next service is due. Thanks. pete

Reply to
turtill