Wot, no sun roof?

The time has finally come to replace my s/h 1996 BMW 328i SE and my first choice would be another petrol s/h 3-Series of similar or better performance.
But I'm dismayed that none of the more recent models offer a sun roof. An essential requirement for me.
What's the reason for that omission, which looks widespread across most brands?
--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

On 5/23/2014 5:04 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:

I totally agree that a sunroof is essential.
I saw a very sporty BMW at the dealers that had no sunroof and was told it was a carbon fibre roof and that meant no sunroof
A long time ago I went shopping for a Honda Accord and when I told the salesman I wanted a sunroof, he scoffed because most of his customers were Chinese and they only want aircon and don't care about sunroofs. I ended up buying a Prelude as all Preludes had sunroofs.
A lot of the nice sports cars have no sunroofs, like the Audi TT and the Porsche Cayman. It costs more money to make a small car strong enough to have a sunroof.
I live in Canada and I think all the 3 Series BMW's have sunroofs.