Would you accept these discs?

Further to my brake disc upgrade my new discs came but they don't look much better than the ones that came off!

Click on the photo here and look at the latter photos...

adder1969

Did you measure your old disc? If the rotors are not warped and the disc measure "within specs," then it should be still useable.

If not, brake rotors/discs are not that expensive. Change them and enjoy!

Reply to
bfd

Where did you buy those from? Where were they made? China?

Take them back! I wouldn't mount those on my car.

Reply to
Fred W

Are they supposed to be new?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Dunno where you got those from, but they're certainly not new discs. Were they supposed to be new, or sold as good s/h. Which BTW, they're certainly not. The only suitable place to put those, is in a skip. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It certainly appears that these discs have been installed and used briefly before they were sold to you. It's hard to know exactly what circumstances led to this situation but the reality of it is that these discs look exactly like they would one day after you installed them whether they were 'new' or not. Certainly its not worth the wait and the shipping expense of returning them just to have them be pristine for that one day. Your old discs belong in the recycling yard; put these on the car.

Reply to
Jack

But *why* would anyone remove part used discs and return them to the supplier? Warped, perhaps?

You pay for new discs - that's what you get.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These were from buypartsby or auto spares group or some other name they trade under and were the "expensive" delphi discs. They look like they've been turned by a ham fisted blind man.

I'm concerned that they'll wear funny (like the old ones) if I put them on the car as is and liek you say I paid for new ones so I should get new ones. It loosk like someone else has returned them previously.

When I've put new discs on other cars the proper finish on them has certainly lasted more than a day.

Reply to
adder1969

They certainly don't look thay way to me. To me they look like well worn discs that need replacing. Unless the camera is lying, the second from last pic clearly shows the inner flange considerably thinner than the outer, and the last shot appears to show that side to be well worn with grooves..

Certainly its not worth the wait and the shipping expense of returning

My advice would be for the OP to send them back, and buy a new pair. Good make 740 pattern discs can be baught for around £35 each. I'd certainly rather fit new discs rather than the s/h and well worn ones he's baught. No matter how good they are supposed to be. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.

Reply to
adder1969

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.

No way. Both sides should be the same for even heat distribution. The ones you have have worn that way. The price I gave was for new Bremtech discs from

Mike G

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.

Just to add to my earlier post. New discs are never turned. They're always ground. It's the best way to get a smooth and true surface. The marks on the ones you've baught are certainly caused by wear. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The discs are more or less the 30mm nominal width but I agree it doesn't seem ideal to have one thick side and one thin one.

Reply to
adder1969

The kicker is that one side is thicker than the other. Those disks are going to warp like a potato chip is no time. Ditch them...

Reply to
Fred W

I wouldn't install them on my car. They certainly don't look new.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

So put them on to see if they spin true. If they are warped you have a real reason to return them.

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
Jack

You might be happy with returned used goods at full price. I doubt many others would be. Certainly not me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think you can make that assumption. Sure the pads don't extend over the inner and outer edge of a disc, but having the facilities at work, on occasion I've just machined the ridges off, before fitting new pads. I'd suspect that has been done to the ones shown. Either that or they are ones made for a different car, that have been machined on one side to achieve the correct mounting flange to disc centre dimension. IOW they've been bodged to fit. I wouldn't be happy fitting them to my car,especially when brand new good quality Bremtech ones can be baught for less money. I have Bremtech front discs on my Toyota Celica GT4 turbo, and they're fine. I'll certainly not worry about putting them on my E34 when they need replacing in a few months time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I just think that being overly fussy about the cosmetic appearance of something like a brake disc is silly and just raises the prices for everyone.

Reply to
Jack