Would you accept these discs?

Page 1 of 2
Further to my brake disc upgrade my new discs came but they don't look much better than the ones that came off!
Click on the photo here and look at the latter photos...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc 3b8m1c.tn7jnes&Uy=-i1ul68&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0
Did you measure your old disc? If the rotors are not warped and the disc measure "within specs," then it should be still useable.
If not, brake rotors/discs are not that expensive. Change them and enjoy!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc 3b8m1c.tn7jnes&Uy=-i1ul68&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0
Where did you buy those from? Where were they made? China?
Take them back! I wouldn't mount those on my car.
--
-Fred W

Are they supposed to be new?
It certainly appears that these discs have been installed and used briefly before they were sold to you. It's hard to know exactly what circumstances led to this situation but the reality of it is that these discs look exactly like they would one day after you installed them whether they were 'new' or not. Certainly its not worth the wait and the shipping expense of returning them just to have them be pristine for that one day. Your old discs belong in the recycling yard; put these on the car.

But *why* would anyone remove part used discs and return them to the supplier? Warped, perhaps?
You pay for new discs - that's what you get.
--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

These were from buypartsby or auto spares group or some other name they trade under and were the "expensive" delphi discs. They look like they've been turned by a ham fisted blind man.
I'm concerned that they'll wear funny (like the old ones) if I put them on the car as is and liek you say I paid for new ones so I should get new ones. It loosk like someone else has returned them previously.
When I've put new discs on other cars the proper finish on them has certainly lasted more than a day.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

The kicker is that one side is thicker than the other. Those disks are going to warp like a potato chip is no time. Ditch them...
--
-Fred W

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    [...]

I've never warped real BMW disks, every fake has died.
So put them on to see if they spin true. If they are warped you have a real reason to return them.
London SW

You might be happy with returned used goods at full price. I doubt many others would be. Certainly not me.
--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

I just think that being overly fussy about the cosmetic appearance of something like a brake disc is silly and just raises the prices for everyone.
London SW

Being concerned about ventilated discs with different thickness sides, and on the thinner sides looking "like they've been turned by a ham fisted blind man" can hardly be described as "being overly fussy about the cosmetic appearance"
Those are not cosmetic faults, they are machining and design faults, which will affect their service life if nothing else. Personally I don't think they were originally made for an E38 740i. Delphi is a reputable Co. I'm sure their pattern discs would look identical to the originals. They would know as well as anyone else with any sense, that the two flanges should be the same thickness. IMO somebody has modified discs designed for a different vehicle. Turning one side so the disc is the right thickness, and runs in the correct place relative to the caliper. It's the only logical explaination of why one side is thinner than the other.
One thing I can say for certain. I'd never put similar discs on a car of mine, even if I were given them for nothing, and to charge 40 pounds for them, when equally as good quality new discs can be baught for 35 is just adding insult to injury IMO.
Personally I'd send them back, telling the supplier exactly what I thaught of them, and demand my money back, including the return carriage cost. Mike.
Jack wrote:

You seem to be the minority here Jack.
It's not cosmetic. They are either manufactured (or remanufactured) WRONG. The two plates that make up the ventilated disk are supposed to be pf the same thickness. The brakes will not operate correctly when the get hot otherwise.
Brakes are not a bling-bling cosmetic part. They are probably the greatest single safety feature effecting how the car will be operated.
I would never put crap brake parts like the rotors in those pictures on any car (even yours).
Oh, and I don't see how accepting garbage parts at full price somehow lowers the price of parts for others. It just encourages crappy part sellers to continue to sell crappy parts.
--
-Fred W

Just to be clear Fred
I did say that I would return these parts if they were warped or if the thickness asymmetry was not per spec.
I also said that I would not return them for cosmetic reasons such as greasy fingerprints, crumpled boxes, or evidence of being previously installed.
Have a nice day.

Jack wrote:

OK, gotcha. Same here.

U2
--
-Fred W

Jack wrote:

Ok, I got some new new discs from brakeparts.co.uk today (they should have arrived yesterday). They look new with cellophane over them although the packaging in general is a bit battered. The faces are perfectly flat with the usual small lines on and they make the delphi ones look like they were made in backstreet turkish shed.
However, there's still the difference in thickness between the inner and outer face. I think I'm happy to fit them but I guess if they warp I'll know to go to BMW next time. I usually go to the dealer for discs and this is the first time I've skimped.
Incidentally buypartsby.co.uk said they'll take their Delphi discs back but so far I haven't been refunded so that'll be another thing I have to keep an eye on.

I always get ATE discs from Eurocarparts. They are OEM makers and the replacements seem identical to BMW ones (as you'd expect), but much cheaper. I've fitted many sets across the years without problems. Except that they don't last any longer than BMW ones. ;-(
--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Must say it's the first time I've ever heard of discs with different thickness faces. I still can't see how they can adequately cope with the difference in heat absorbtion and dissipation.
I think I'm happy to fit them but I guess if they warp

I don't think you'll have any problems with them. I've baught 3 pairs of discs from Brakeparts for different cars. They seem at least as good as OEM ones. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

Just to hopefully add a final note to this thread, buypartsby (or autospares group or sutton motor factors) picked up the first set of discs and refunded my money with no questions asked but no apology either.
I got a confirmation email from brakeparts from their whizzy website in which it said if I had any questions to email them back. Well I did email them but heard nothing at all so it seems yet another company that claims to have wonderful customer service but fails to back it up.