Would you accept these discs?

Page 2 of 2

They certainly don't look thay way to me. To me they look like well worn discs that need replacing. Unless the camera is lying, the second from last pic clearly shows the inner flange considerably thinner than the outer, and the last shot appears to show that side to be well worn with grooves..
Certainly its not worth the wait and the shipping expense of returning

My advice would be for the OP to send them back, and buy a new pair. Good make 740 pattern discs can be baught for around 35 each. I'd certainly rather fit new discs rather than the s/h and well worn ones he's baught. No matter how good they are supposed to be. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.
Mike G wrote:

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.
No way. Both sides should be the same for even heat distribution. The ones you have have worn that way. The price I gave was for new Bremtech discs from http://www.brakeparts.co.uk / Mike.
Mike G wrote:

The discs are more or less the 30mm nominal width but I agree it doesn't seem ideal to have one thick side and one thin one.
The thickness difference apparent in the last photo can not be the result of wear because the pads do not extend all the way to the edge. They were manufactured this way.

I don't think you can make that assumption. Sure the pads don't extend over the inner and outer edge of a disc, but having the facilities at work, on occasion I've just machined the ridges off, before fitting new pads. I'd suspect that has been done to the ones shown. Either that or they are ones made for a different car, that have been machined on one side to achieve the correct mounting flange to disc centre dimension. IOW they've been bodged to fit. I wouldn't be happy fitting them to my car,especially when brand new good quality Bremtech ones can be baught for less money. I have Bremtech front discs on my Toyota Celica GT4 turbo, and they're fine. I'll certainly not worry about putting them on my E34 when they need replacing in a few months time. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

These were 40+vat which is pretty much the same as everywhere. I guess the discs were cast then turned down on one side, badly, to make them the required thickness.
Just to add to my earlier post. New discs are never turned. They're always ground. It's the best way to get a smooth and true surface. The marks on the ones you've baught are certainly caused by wear. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

'Baught' strange spelling (not typo as done twice)

One of Mike's endearing little foibles. ;-)
Perhaps it's an old english past tense spelling?
--
*Windows will never cease *

Thank you Dave, but it's not really my fault you know. :-) Problem is that baught looks more right to me than bought, so I don't notice it in the way I normally notice spelling mistakes. If I were picked up on it more frequently maybe I could get out of the habit. Come to think about it I make the same mistake with brought, but it's not a word I use as much.

Or maybe it's a long forgotten alternative spelling which might allow me to continue using it. Must check. :-) Mike.
Mike G wrote:

weren't messing with brake discs - or for that matter even driving!). If you're going for the phonetics, surely it should be bawt or bort? But then we'd be getting into SMS language and that's destroying our illogical old English as each day passes. Just you see the state of the Oxford dictionary in 10 years.
Actually - on the OP subject of discs, I note many responses are going on about the fact the inside and outside sections of the disc are not equal thickness. As far as I know - this is not necessarily wrong. I haven't played much on BMW's yet as up to recently I was a VW man - but some Gold models have this and when this is the case, the inner brake pad is smaller implying that the inner calliper applies less pressure than the outer - meaning less wear and therefore thinner disc section. Are your brake pads the same size? If not and the smaller one works on the thinner section - that seems OK to me. Best David
DCA wrote:

Huh? Care to explain the physics of that feat? The caliper squeezes the disk (rotor) between the two pads.
Also, if the pad is of a smaller size, given the equal pressure applied on either side of the disk, the pressure per square inch would actually be higher causing friction and heat generated to be more concentrated.
But to get back to the OPs BMW brake design, I am 100% certain that the two halves are intended to be the same thickness. That way the will expand and contract equally.
--
-Fred W

Mike G wrote:

To me I see "au" as either "oh" as in french, or "ow" as in german.
Naught for example up north is pronounced "nowt" and you'll find that southern England words have more in leeping with French pronounciation while northern words are more in keeping with German and Scandinavian.
To go back slightly OT, the pads are the same size.

Yup, due to the influence of the Vikings in central and northern england, and the Normans in the south. We're really just a motley bunch of mongrels. :-) Not that I know much about english history.
Just a thaught, spelled with an 'a' you'll notice. As is fraught and caught, so why bought with an 'o'? The pronunciation is similar Mike.
Mike G wrote:

Because one or more of us motley bunch who thought maybe they could write wrote it down wrong and it's stuck ever since. Some words are spread by the written word so they look the same but sound different and others are spread by speach so they sound the same but look different.

You're right it's not a typo. If I think about it I spell it right. If I don't, I always get it wrong. I just don't seem to be able to cure myself of the habit. I suppose it's because phonetically an 'a' seems more appropriate than an 'o'. That's my excuse anyway. At least I don't refer to a cars breaks. :-) Mike.
Mike G wrote:

LOL - you're right - 'breaks' is positively cringe bringing!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc 3b8m1c.tn7jnes&Uy=-i1ul68&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0 Dunno where you got those from, but they're certainly not new discs. Were they supposed to be new, or sold as good s/h. Which BTW, they're certainly not. The only suitable place to put those, is in a skip. :-) Mike.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I wouldn't install them on my car. They certainly don't look new.
-- Cliff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc 3b8m1c.tn7jnes&Uy=-i1ul68&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0
Something like this has come up on another group with an E39 540. Seems there are two types early and late. Fit the late ones to an early car and the disc rubs on the caliper...
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *