X 5 tailgate rattle

My 2003 X 5 has a tailgate rattle. The local BMW agent has fixed it four times. They tell me this is common problem.

Anyone else has had this rattle? I'm going to write to BMW, but I'd like to get this groups opinion.

Thanks.

gamini

Reply to
gw

This comes from being a dolt and slamming the rear hatch. The hatch is a "soft close" where once the mechanism feels it's starting to latch, it pulls itself closed.

BMW has replacements for the rubber bumpers the hatch came with that have spring-loaded plungers in them. These eliminate this to a great extent and help protect against the dolts.

You didn't mention if you're male or female. Males seem to get the soft-close feature. Females just can't seem to grasp it (I'm married to one who can't seem to grasp it..)

And have fun writing to BMW, they enjoy getting mail. Reading it just makes their day sometimes.

Reply to
admin

Mine rattles on and off, I don't think the auto closer works quite right all the time. Usually a slam of the gate fixes the issue though...

Does the 2007 have the same issue?

douga

Reply to
DougA

My "soft close" must be not working. I had a Cadillac STS which had this feature and I am aware how it works. Anyway, I'll ask the dealer to take a look.

gamini

Reply to
gw

I have a 2001 and have never had a tailgate problem. Are you using it more than usual? ie, a seat at the beach or maybe your kids using it as a diving board? Could you add lock-tite to the bolts?

Reply to
Cedrick

Dolt or not, the BMW agent confirmed, my X5 does not have the soft close feature. As posted here (elsewhere) this rattle seems to be a well-known problem.

Kind regards,

gamini

Reply to
gw

My '04 had it. My '07 has it. Standard on both - not part of a package.

Reply to
Dan