X3 Roof cargo carrier/rack

I've got a 2005 X3 3.0i with the roof rails. Are they strictly decoration, or can I use them to hold a roof carrier? I'm assuming that I don't want anything that's going to rest on/touch the moonroof,
but can I get something held above it by the rails?
Toby
If memory serves there is an 80kg load capacity for the roof rails on my 2005 320d Touring, I would assume similar for an X3. This info. is in the owners manual, I guess you have a company / lease car and no access to this. You will need to buy roof bars designed to clamp on to the rails, fix the box/carrier onto the bars. http://www.thule.com/ are a well known brand if you don't like what the BMW dealer has to offer.
Adrian
BMW makes a base roof rack for the X3 to which you can customize anything from a surfboard rack to a cargo carrier. Get an X3 accessories catalog from your dealer.

John & Adrian,
Thanks to both. I'll check it out!
Toby

Toby wrote:

http://yakima.com/choose_my_rack /
Skip the part that asks for the trailer hitch info.