X5 How to remove rear inside door panel?

I've got an X5 with a window regulator that is apparently shot. The window just went all the way down by itself and now when the motor runs, it whirs but nothing happens. Top edge of of the glass that I
can see is there, so figure it's the mechanism. Some searching indicates this is a common problem.
So, before I take it to the dealer for $$$$, anyone have any links or suggestions on how the door panel comes off and/or repair procedure? I would buy some manuals, but with a window down and out, can't wait. I'm comfortable doing this kind of work, but not without knowing where the hidden screws are, how it slides off, etc.
TIA for any help!
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:52:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Go here and have a look at the exploded views and fixing arrangements.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=P&series 8&body=Lim&modelt0i&zoneE&arch=0
However, most have pop out covers and on the Rover the small speaker popped out and there were screws hidden there and the door handle (inside) trim slid off to expose another screw.
The door trim itself usually pops off via plastic pins that push into either compatible sockets or the door metal. Wide flat blade metal is easy to slid between door metal and trim and easier to flip the studs out if forked. I used to use acrylic (Plexiglas or lexan) as there is less chance to damage the paint.
On Jun 19, 12:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I find that a 10-lb axe works well. Get the one with the wooden handle for comfort. Real handy, too, when you get a yen to play a tatoo on that overpriced hood after something that should not break, breaks.
I DO NOT HAVE AN X5 ...
When I set about to remove a door panel, I take all of the screws out first. these are typically located in or near the hand holds, and by the door handle/opening lever. Then I use a putty knife and slip it between the panel and the door and gently pry the plastic clips free from the door. I like to be very careful to not break the plastic/nylon clips, but if you need to buy replacements, you can get them from the dealership for about $0.75 each. (I buy them in the 10-pack.)
When you get all of the clips free from the door, the panel will be left hanging by the window sill, and you should be able to simply lift it off.
I do not have an X5, but I do have an E36 (my second one) that I've taken the door panels off of. I can't imagine that the X Series and the other cars are remarkably different.

In the UK you can buy forked ended tools which fit either side of the clip designed to lever off the panel without breaking the clip or damaging the panel or paint.
After doing whatever you do to the inside of the door make sure the membrane that goes between door and trim is in good condition and properly sealed - a failure here can result in water ingress to the car.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *