You gotta love these cars!

My daughter called last night to say her alternator light had come on. Shit! Both of my kids had gone to Sacramento to check out a school and were on the way home. They were north of Los Angeles when the car crapped out. Anyway, two kids with two different AAA cards each with 100 miles of towing, and they were home by midnight with a tow bill for 12 miles.

This morning I looked under the hood. The idler pulley has come apart, and the resulting molten parts dripped onto the tensioner pulley and cooled and hardened. The resulting debris pretty much finished off that pulley and the serpentine belt. So, two pullies and a belt, not too bad considering the possibilities.

I open the hood this morning at 0730, and by 0830 I had all of the affected parts, and some of the neighboring parts in a heap on the floor. The top radiator hose was damaged by the belt whipping around, and the hose has a very cool design -- simply pull a clip on each end and the hose comes off easily. Very nice!

This car had a known weakness in the viscous couple (fan clutch), so I am taking the opportunity to replace it. It comes off without removing the pulley on the snout of the water pump -- very nice design.

The tensioners work easily with a 13mm socket on a breaker bar, and are held on with only two bolts each. The tensioner pullies can be replaced independently of the tensioner assembly, saving about $30 on each.

I have worked on this sort of stuff on my cars all of my life, and this repair is by far the easiest to accomplish of any other car I have owned.

QUESTION The steering rack seems a bit sloppy -- the wheel can be moved from side to side and a noticable looseness is felt. Is the rack easy to replace?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Depends on what model and year it is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You mean a road wheel or the steering wheel? If the former, the usual cause is play in an inner balljoint (on the end of the rack) and the trackrod assembly can be replaced without removing the rack. Play in the rack itself is pretty rare.

As regards replacing the rack, you don't say what the car is. Some are easy - on others it means lifting the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OTOH, a relatively high-end car ought to have a cooling system that isn't seemingly guaranteed to fail. Great vehicle dynamics, fair at best supporting systems.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

That matters?