Z3 2.8 motor racing

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080104010502070608070905 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Today, while clutch disengaged at stop light, suddenly the motor started racing to 3000 rpm, then fall, then race again. I then engaged the clutch and felt no more surging while driving. Later, the check engine light came on and she became hard to restart. there's plenty of green lights remaining, I've had it only for 3K miles ('97 w/42K). Is this something I can check out myself or could any old garage handle it, or might it requre a visit to the BMW dealer??
--
Thank You,

Sticking idle control valve or a vacuum leak?