Z4 - bad points?

Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
All thoughts welcomed.
TIA tim

The "power top" (I'm in the U.S.) works very well. I had a very slight water leak which was easily fixed under warranty by adjusting the weather-stripping. There is a small (about 3"x3") plastic piece in the top mechanism which broke, but it was very easy to replace. I don't have the auto-dimming mirror, so mine is fine. As in any modern roadster, rear vision isn't wonderful with the top up, but the Z4 beats my wife's 2000 Saab convertible.
Wind noise is not bad with the top down and very good with the top up - if you order the "electric hood". IIRC, the manual top is unlined and, therefore, noisier.
My main complaint is a rather stiff ride, probably due to the OEM runflat tires. On the other hand, cornering is greatly improved over the Z3 and the added trunk ("boot") space is appreciated on long trips.
Tom
tim wrote:

No. There are no points in *any* modern automobile as they are all fitted with electronic ignition.

The hood is not electric. The soft-top might be though, though the electric part seldom leaks.

Well, it's not the richest looking mirror I've ever seen.

No. In fact many will replace the exhaust with one that is even noisier.

I bet you did not welcome the above thoughts. ;-)
Sorry, I have a Z3, but no actual experience with a Z4. I just couldn't resist being a smart @$$.
-Fred W

I'm getting a new Alpina Roadster S Lux this June - so I will let you know!
--
Sam

Sam Smith wrote:

You're very lucky Sam- the Roadster S is an absolutely wonderful Car.
Is there a pic anywhere available ? Thanks

Noisy?
know!
MAd MAx wrote:

To google, be googled, be googling, to have been googled...
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/alpina-z4.php http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/pic.php?id  http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/alpina_z4.asp http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/NCN_3409_newsarchiveitem.html
Price list:
* Basic: 38,000 (approx. $70,000) * On the road charges: 900 (approx. $1,700) * Lux Pack: 3,950 (approx. $7,300)
Randy
Thanks Randy and sorry. Didn't even think to go googling. Nice car.

Maybe I'm missing something, but a .4 second improvement in 0-60 time over the 3.0 doesn't seem like much for an additional 75HP and $25,000. I guess that's why neither Alpina nor BMW is marketing it here in the U.S.
Tom
Tom Korth wrote:

over
guess
If you measure the worth of a car only by its 0-60 time then sure, it's poor value for money. But then 0-60 is a pointless measurement; where Alpina is sold, 0-120 mph (or, better still, 60-120 mph) is far more interesting. Ergo, from the American point of view, few will find value in it, so it won't be sold there.
It would have been better had you compared it to the UK base price, not the US base price. It's a 9,000 premium over the Z4, adjusted for spec.
Tom Korth wrote:

over
guess
Agreed. 60-120 mph opportunities aren't too common in the U.S.

I didn't realize that our currency had slipped quite so much. On the BMW UK website, "building" my Z4 3.0 (U.S. $44,000 in the U.S.) comes to about 34,000, or about U.S. $63,000 in the UK. As you said, that narrows the Alpina difference considerably!
Tom
Hi Tom,
I have an Alpina Roadster S and the price difference(in the UK) between that and a Z4 3.0 with the additional extras(as offered with the Lux package) is only 1145. The Roadster S Lux is now being offered at 38,850 and the 'standard' Z4 with the same options as the Lux is 37,705!
The 0-60 on the Roadster is 5.0 secs although the UK mags have got this down to 4.7 on dry road test which is considerably quicker than the 5.7 for the standard 3.0L. On top of this is the superior handling and ride (no run flats).
As previously stated the 0-100 or 0-120mph are much quicker! The Alpina is a better car to the standard Z4 in almost every way! Not to mention it will hit 169mph compared to the 3.0L 155mph (limited, unlimted is about 160mph)
The depreciation on the Alpina is less than the standard Z4 so the 1145 pays for itself in the first year.
I don't mean to harp on about it but the facts and figures speak for themselves!
Cheers
Pete.
Tom Korth wrote:

A difference of 1 s to get to 60, a diff between 5.7 s and 5.0 or even 4.7 s.... If you're a professional and crash your gearboxes you might be able to feel the difference...IF you look at a stopwatch.
And so you can reach 169 instead of 155 mph. How does that help you on a European motorway? Do you spend a lot of time on those few sections of German motorway that are unlimited AND when they are not busy? How much quicker will you get to your destination with the extra few mph at the top end?
What really matters, especially on single-carriageway roads, is the 50 - 70 mph acceleration. And I doubt a fraction of second diff means much. Maybe you need more torque, and for that you need a diesel... :-) Try a Merc CLK D...?....
Choose the car you like the look and feel of...
DAS
"Damo" < snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:jIOQe.390$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

The power required to reduce a sprint from 5.7 to 4.7 is quite significant, as is the power required to go from 160 to 169mpg. Drag increases proportionally with the square of the speed, so 10mph difference at 150mph+ is a major difference. As a result the car will be more lively and responsive throughout the speed range, it's just down to the individual to decide if that is what they are looking for in a car.
says...

Yeah, but there is a downside to the Alpina: it's not a BMW.
Shadowdancer wrote:

Huh?
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:
"Malt_Hound" <""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com"> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Geezzzz where do I start?
Oh I know! The looks. It's so hideously ugly you can't get within 30 feet of one without retasting your last meal.
DRP535 wrote:

I like the looks...Strange me.