Z4 ground clearance?

Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn on a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than try to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the English Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.

Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment! Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy? P

Reply to
Pointer

I don't know that ground clearance is an issue or not, but I try very hard to not drive my 3 Series offroad. I love going offroad, don't get me wrong. But my 3 Series is not intended for the kind of offroading that I do, and I don't do any offroading in it. If the guy in your story had gone a few yards and decided to turn around, then he's like me except that he waited a few yards longer than I might have. If the issue is that the road is high in the middle, then driving to the side so the tires are on the high parts of the road, then ground clearance is not the problem.

It is impossible to know from the story you told what the issues are.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well Jeff,

is the bridge in question, a single cars width wide with tight drystone walls which might have unnerved him, but I then drove my Jaguar across it without incident ( but with great care)To my mind he was more concerned about damaging his undercarriage half way across, than worrying about the width available.Though it must be said that the odd protruding loose rock slab might play havoc with your bodywork. You have a warm invitation to visit this glorious part of the country best explored in fell walking boots. Cheers P

Reply to
Pointer

I think your post was just an excuse to show the video! :-)

And jolly nice that part of the world is, too. And no doubt houses don't cost half a million quid for a glorified broom cupboard...

DAS (a Londoner)

Reply to
DAS

Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn on a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than try to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the English Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.

Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment! Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy? P I imagine the clearance is similar to my Honda S 2000 -- right at 6 inches and you would scrape the front spoiler. I have to watch it in parking lots.

Reply to
tww1491

I'm getting déjà vu all over again.

Reply to