Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Page 2 of 6
A. There won't be an SLK63 for two reasons: 1. The SLK can't take that engine (it's to heavy anyhow) 2. MB is trying to give people a reason to spend more cash on the
CLK model
B. The only time the SLK55 has ever taken favor over the Boxster was in that sill Top Gear comparison. Overall, the Boxster is considered the shining star in it's class and the the new engine lineup and suspension tweks that are coming for '07 are only going to help. I'll refer all to the following for final words: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11265/comparison-test-review-2006-bmw-z4-m-coupe-vs-2006-porsche-cayman-s.html
Keep in mind the 2007 Boxster S is effectively a Cayman S minus the hard roofline.
Journalists' opinion is that Boxster drivers have it as a consolation prize as they would rather be driving a 911...
;-) DAS
"Filmophile" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Shades of the 914-6. Cool car, but for not much more you can get a real Porshe. (a 911).

I think you'll see it with an 8, but I doubt they'll discontinue it.

Right. That's like saying the only real Mercedes has gull wing doors.
No. The only real Mercedes is always the last model but one...
DAS
"Jim Keenan" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message

You say that like it's a negative thing. You're referring to the 4 rotor C111, right?
wrote in message

No, I'm saying it in the sense of the tired, worn "real Porsche" crack. The C111 was an interesting test bed that never saw the light of day in a showroom. 300SL, circa 1954-1957.

I dunno, the gullwings were pretty but the 300SL roadsters had rear discs the coupes didn't. And they were made up till 61. I think if you want more milage out of the "real mercedes" crack you'd want to point to the M100 limos or and of the handbuilt coupe/cabs - if you're over 40. If you're under 40 the any real mercedes crack is better aimed at anything not assembled in Germany.
And the "real porsche" crack will never be tired as long as porsche people overreact to it.
And the "real porsche" crack will never be tired as long as porsche people

No, the "real Porsche" crack remains tired since so many uninformed folks keep using it.

See?
wrote in message >

Exactly.
Porsche tried to stop making the 911 before but popular demand prevented it.
DAS
"Filmophile" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

The only time Porsche executives ever gave serious consideration to discontinuing the 911 was when they were developing the 928, thinking that it would eventually replace the Carrera. Unfortunately for Porsche, the 928 never sold real well, partly the by product of it's high price. During the 1980s when the company was nearing bankruptcy, the 911 was the only thing keeping them alive, and it stuck around for a few more years. Enthusiasts certainly love it, but profitability is what;s kept the 911 in the lineup, not demand. Keep in mind that there are many Porsche lovers out there, but only so many who can continue to buy new vehicles for such high cost.
Today, the Cayenne and Boxster sell enough units on their own to finance the company, and the Cayman is almost sure to follow. The compact, mid-engined design of the Boxster and Cayman are inherently superior to that of the 911, which although amazing in it's capabilitites will always be limited by it's rear engined design. Notice that most of the world's best sports cars (Pagani Zonda, Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Lotus Elise, Lamborghini Murcielago and Gallardo, Ariel Atom, etc...) are mid-engined, it's for good reason. Given the same level of suspension tuning and power output that the 911 benefits from, the Boxster and Cayman models would easily surpass the 911 in performance.
I *love* the 911, every model of it they've produced since 1964 (although I have special soft spots for the 964 RS 3.8, 993 GT2 and 996 GT3). It's an icon, an incrediblly well versed automobile, and despite it's flaws, one of the best sports cars in the world. I was on board when Porsche went to liquid cooling in the 996, even while other self proclaimed "purists" were yelling and screaming that the "real" 911 was dead. Nonetheless, 52 years is a long lifespan, and Porsche is facing increasingly stiff competition. The Corvette crawls ever closer in terms of performance and agility to the 911, and although the Porsche will always win for build quality and prestige, that's not always enough.
The company needs to grow beyond pandering to enthusiasts who want to keep the marque locked into the past. They need to be able to look forward, not backward. The rear-engined revolution was well fought, but destined to end. We've proven our point - the layout can work, and work well, even in race cars. All hail the 911, but the 911 is nearly ready to die.
Agreed. I think that was the reason Porsche wanted to ditch the 911, knowing very well the limitations of the rear engine. But they have done well with it, as you say.
DAS
"Filmophile" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Porsche makes several variants of an SUV, soft and hardtop mid-engined two-seaters and is designing a four door front-engined sedan for introduction in 2009 or so. How is this pandering to enthusiasts who want to keep the marque locked into the past?
The 911 is still a formidable vehicle no matter where the engine resides, and market demand is strong. Porsche doesn't lose money on the 911 - its not like they keep it around out of sentiment. I don't think it goes away until market demand goes away,

Sadly, on my way back from Hood River, OR to Seattle last week, I saw a small camp trailer (caravan for you EU guys) being hauled by a Cayenne. ;-( The horror, the horror.
FloydR
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Floyd Rogers wrote:

Oh dear. That is just wrong.
-s

They make one SUV in four trim leves.

Essentially two versions of the same car that Porsche has intemtionally kept back to protect the 911.

A mistake, IMO. The Maserati Quattroporte's poor sales will speak to this.
How is this pandering to enthusiasts who want to

Porsche has long known that the 911 is a valuable part of the lineup and have intentionally protected it by doing things like limiting the amount of power given to the Boxster and Cayman. Given another *compareable* choice, I'm not sure the 911's sales would remain so strong. Market demand for the 911 is high in part because the next closest thing is the Ferrari F430 at near double the money.

    They would. I agree with you, but the fact is the 911 is, to most of its buyers, a dream car. People tend to be irrational about dream cars, and overlook their flaws and pay happily for the privilege, from 911 engine placement to Ferrari maintenance costs to Corvettes using leaf springs *decades* and Mustangs using drum brakes decades after you could get a cheap hatchback with a better suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes.     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black