Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Newsflash: that engine sucked. The top ends on most (vergasser) MB's seldome last mroe than 150K miles but the bottom ends seem to never die. 65K is a little early and sounds like too infrequent oil changes.

Sadly that's true, but it's not endemic to just MB. Any contemporary German car out of warrenty is too scary to consider - the shadetree mechanic has somewhat less of a fightiung chance these days which is putting it mildly.

You get what you pay for.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

They make one SUV in four trim leves.

Essentially two versions of the same car that Porsche has intemtionally kept back to protect the 911.

A mistake, IMO. The Maserati Quattroporte's poor sales will speak to this.

How is this pandering to enthusiasts who want to

Porsche has long known that the 911 is a valuable part of the lineup and have intentionally protected it by doing things like limiting the amount of power given to the Boxster and Cayman. Given another

*compareable* choice, I'm not sure the 911's sales would remain so strong. Market demand for the 911 is high in part because the next closest thing is the Ferrari F430 at near double the money.
Reply to
Filmophile

Well "Prestige", which is the word I choose (not "Prestigue") means the following:

  1. The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing.
  2. A person's high standing among others; honor or esteem.
  3. Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.

I think that works fine.

Reply to
Filmophile

MB may have jumped the shark, but Jags have always been shit for reliability- they just used to be *classy* pieces of shit.

Reply to
Filmophile

They would. I agree with you, but the fact is the 911 is, to most of its buyers, a dream car. People tend to be irrational about dream cars, and overlook their flaws and pay happily for the privilege, from

911 engine placement to Ferrari maintenance costs to Corvettes using leaf springs *decades* and Mustangs using drum brakes decades after you could get a cheap hatchback with a better suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

Try the original definition. The French one.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Har. Yeah but then they work...

Again, deffering to that great bastion of TV automotive excellence, Top Gear, they recenly tested an E-type and got a 3 (?) second better lap time than a Lotus Espirt. That's pretty damn impressive really.

I was impresses that the car could make a complete lap without breaking down.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Oh dear. That is just wrong.

-s

Reply to
Steve Thompson

No, I'm saying it in the sense of the tired, worn "real Porsche" crack. The C111 was an interesting test bed that never saw the light of day in a showroom. 300SL, circa 1954-1957.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

And you know this how? Tea leaves? Crystal ball? Newsflash for you: my dad halved the service interval for oil/oil filter changes (as he has always done with his cars). Stick to what you know and not what you'd like things to be.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Don't need to. Car and Driver has had the Boxster as one of its "Ten Best" for years running now, so who cares what Top Gear picks?

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I dunno, the gullwings were pretty but the 300SL roadsters had rear discs the coupes didn't. And they were made up till 61. I think if you want more milage out of the "real mercedes" crack you'd want to point to the M100 limos or and of the handbuilt coupe/cabs - if you're over 40. If you're under 40 the any real mercedes crack is better aimed at anything not assembled in Germany.

And the "real porsche" crack will never be tired as long as porsche people overreact to it.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I said "sounds *like*" not "here's an authoritative answer from a registered psychic".

That is, to say the least, a very unusual and early failure. Eh, shit happens.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I stopped reading US car magazines around the time of the R/T bribery scandal. I'm not sure I trust any of them any more. But you're taling apples and oranges... sure it probably belongs in the top 10 of anybody's list, the top gear wonks simply made the point that in testing he two head to head the AMG SLK simply outperformed the boxter in every are. Perhaps not a fair cmoparison as AMG versions are typically pretty hairy and porsche has yet to bring out it's equivalent of the factory hotrod AMG version of the slk.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

C'mon, it's been a lot better since Ford poured billions into it (Jag).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Ford may have ruined the 'classy' part, (for some models) but they've made great strides on the reliability front.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sorry to read all the back-and-forth nastiness here about something that is, in the end, a personal choice.

I made my choice in 1999, when I compared the Boxster of that time with the Z3 and the SLK230. I live in Chicago, where the winters are long and cold, so the retractable hard-top of the SLK was a draw. At the same time, I was a little hesitant because I thought it might fail at some point.

My recollection is that the SLK had about one more inch of head room than the other Z3 or Boxster, and that is what moved me into the "buy" mode. The top has not failed, my head doesn't hit the ceiling when I drive, and just last year, when the car was beginning to seem a little old, a young woman who was passing as I lowered the top smiled and said "Cool car!" I think I'll keep it.

Reply to
John Cisarik

Well, I'm using the modern English variance of the word, so it's not an issue for me.

Reply to
Filmophile

Fiurst of all, are we talking about a real, vintage XKE or one of the new XK8s?

Reply to
Filmophile

My paternal grandfather is on his 2nd XJ8, he owned of of the last bodystyle and then traded in for the newest version after they came out. Both have had strange problems and the nav system in the new one keeps failing. An uncle owns the newest XJR, it's the 2nd one he's had in just over 2 years. The first one was in the shop more than 40 times for various repairs and he had to sue them to replace it when it simply stopped running. The new one seems OK so far except for a rim that seemed to bend itself for no reason.

An aunt recently decided to purchase an S-Type V8, which is ugly but seems fine otherwise. Although I'd venture to say that the fact that it's essentially a Lincoln LS with a different body has something to do with that.

Reply to
Filmophile