Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Page 4 of 6

My dad had an '88 300 SEL - had a leaky sunroof and needed top end motor work at 65K miles while on a trip. The day after he sold it to the mechanic who had worked on the car most of its life, the tranny suffered a major malfunction. I talked him out of an E wagon in favor of a Lexus RX330 about 18 months ago. I'd be very leery of buying a MB right now.
BMW makes some nice cars, but I haven't seen a 300 series where the door to fender creases weren't off a bit. Saw the same on a brand new 750iL today...........when we took delivery of our Carrera I went over that car with a microscope - the fit and finish were perfect. Of course, BMW makes about 10 times the number vehicles Porsche does annually, but you'd think they could at least get the fenders on straight.

Newsflash: that engine sucked. The top ends on most (vergasser) MB's seldome last mroe than 150K miles but the bottom ends seem to never die. 65K is a little early and sounds like too infrequent oil changes.

Sadly that's true, but it's not endemic to just MB. Any contemporary German car out of warrenty is too scary to consider - the shadetree mechanic has somewhat less of a fightiung chance these days which is putting it mildly.

You get what you pay for.

And you know this how? Tea leaves? Crystal ball? Newsflash for you: my dad halved the service interval for oil/oil filter changes (as he has always done with his cars). Stick to what you know and not what you'd like things to be.

I said "sounds *like*" not "here's an authoritative answer from a registered psychic".
That is, to say the least, a very unusual and early failure. Eh, shit happens.

I know what you said. The point is, you don't know the car or the driver, and have no basis for suggesting the failure was the result of infrequent oil changes.

I agree with you. I said "it sounds like" not "it's because of".

Brilliant. You said it sounds like infrequent oil changes were the cause of the motor problems on a car that had oil changes at half the intervals recommended by the factory.

So... your point is?

Exactly what it's been all along - you have no knowledge of the service records of the car in question and are in no position to postulate the reason for the engine problem. It's a simple concept.

Absolutely. Maybe he didn't change the oil enough or something.
On 2006-07-17 10:44:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) said:

LOL! Jim, you are taking it too personally. Richard is suggesting a possible cause of early failure, not saying you or your dad actually are negligent in that respect.

I understand your point, but he suggested a cause that would be negligent maintenence without knowing any specifics about the car. Now that he knows the car got oil/filter changes at half the factory recommended intervals, he's still pushing the "didn't change the oil enough or something" BS.

That's ok, do better next time. Try half the factory recommendation.

Why? Do you do the same with all the fluids in the car, and if so why not?
--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Jesus. I hear there's a sesne of humour on ebay. They take paypal and ship internationally.

Whatever you say, Dick.

That's the spirit. Hope this helps.

Not really, dick.

I think you need to capitalize that.

Yeah, half the factory recommended interval isn't near enough. Of course you knew that before you wrote this latest piece of BS............