Z4 - non-runflats in France

I have a Z4 3.0 registered in France, although I live 50:50 in France and the UK. I'm ready to fit new tyres but my (French) dealer not only won't fit non-runflats, but tells be it is illegal to do so in France. I risk a fine from the police, invlaidation of the insurance and failure at the controle technique (MOT). Oddly, my dealer in the UK is happy to fit runflats and does so 'for most Z4s' I'm used to nonsensical bureaucracy in France, but this seems a bit extreme. Can someone tell me if non-runflats are, in fact, illegal in France?

Reply to
John Stolz

I suspect that you are in a better position to check this out because you are there.

I suggest that if the car can not carry a spare, then France is in a good position to demand that the car be fitted with run-flat tires. The logic being, if one can not put the spare on, then one must have tires that can run on empty.

I also suggest that you put the tires on that are required by the Country of Registry. If the car is registered in France and run-flats are required there, then you should fit a new set of run-flats. If the car is registered in Britian and run-flats are not required, then fit whatever you want.

Personally, if I had a car that could not carry a spare, I'd not consider anything but run-flat tires. If the car can carry a spare but hasn't got one, then buy one and fit whatever tires you want.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So you follow-up question to the dealer should be "And with regard to the E46 M3, M Roadster, and M Coupe your government's policy is what?" Because those cars have regular tires and no spare, and if the French gov't has no problem with them having Mobility Kits, the standard Z4 shouldn't be an issue. The real answer is that, like most dealership staffers, this person is full of crap, but you can ask on

which has some native French posters as well as some that spend a lot of time there. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown