Z4 recall and traction control

My (3 year old 2.8) Z4 was recalled recently for what the dealership called a 'petite modification' (I live in France) I had new rear tyres fitted at the same time.

I now find that the traction control seems excessivly aggressive. The TC light is flashing often, even on only moderatly swiftly taken bends with little or no throttle. I can feel the front brakes grabbing on-and-off. This seems to be the case with TCS on and in DTC mode as well (perhaps a little less severe in the latter case). if I turn the TCS off then swift bends are taken more smoothly (no sense of the front brakes grabbing on-and-off.

Anybody know what this recall modification might have changed?

Reply to
John Stolz

No, but they didn't disable the *switch*, did they? USE IT!

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

"John Stolz" wrote

I wonder if the new rear tires, in conjunction with the old fronts, has caused the system to think that there is a disparity between the front and rear axle/tire speeds. There have been "stories" about DSC/ABS and the fact that you should always have exactly the same size tires on all 4 wheels.

Not saying that that's the problem, but it's something to check.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

John Stolz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.fr:

Surely the dealer knows what the modification is; since it's YOUR car maybe THEY will tell you what they did.

ScottR

Reply to
Scott Robins

Did they make 2.8 Z4s? You can't get them in the UK.

It could be that:

  1. The tyres are new and not yet at their best (have you done many miles since?
  2. The dodgy French mechanics have set the tyre pressures wrong.
  3. As you suspect, the latest software is a bit "nannying"
  4. You say "little or no throttle" - lifting off suddenly will cause the TC to intervene.
Reply to
Alan

If 3 years old, it is a Z3, not a Z4. And if it is a 2002 model, it could be a 2.5 or 3.0, but not a 2.8.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Korth

Thanks, thats a very sensible suggestion (unlikemany ;-), and very likely the reason. But....

  1. I didn't notice the effect when the rears were well-worn - is there a reason why smaller diameter rears wouldn't fool the traction control system in this way.
  2. This makes me a little worried about the cost of a destructive puncture in one tyre of a part worn set - should the whole set be replaced? Ouch!

Anyway thanks for a sensible suggestion, I'll have to get on with wearing down those rears!

Reply to
John Stolz