Z4 w/ or w/o power top ??

I'm looking at 2004,5,6 Z4's and wondering if a power top is really a requirement.

How much hassle/effort goes into operating the manual top? Does a manual top prevent you from putting the top down for short drives? Would having the automatic cause you to go topless more often. I'm looking for people who have experience with this car.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Z_Hunter

If you're shopping for a used Z4, you won't find many. I only saw one when I was shopping, as it seems everyone went for the power version. I didn't find it difficult to operate, and if I order a new Z4 it's what I would spec, just to save a bit of weight and avoid one more thing that could break. The biggest difference is that manual tops are not lined, so are a bit noisier and less cozy during cold months, but weigh less and aren't as stiff when you're raising and lowering them. As far as using the power top, it raises and lowers quickly so using it isn't inconvenient at all. However, while it takes 10secs (press and hold button), the power top takes about 3secs (grab handle, lift and latch). epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

Power tops are bit "over the top" in my opinion for a car of this size. I drive a Z3 and it's unpowered top is a breeze to handle, plus... I can actually fit my golf bag in the trunk (boot)!

GD> I'm looking at 2004,5,6 Z4's and wondering if a power top is really a > requirement.

Reply to
Data Processing Careers, Inc.

FWIW, my wife has an '06 Z4si with a power top. She likes it because it's fast, fully automatic and can be opened/closed remotely with the FOB.

Eisboch

Reply to
RCE

Since neither top will go anywhere if the car is moving, one must come to a full stop to set teh top up or down.

The ONLY advantage I can see with the automatic top is that you can remain sitting to raise or lower the top. I see little, if any, difference in actually using the top. That is, if you want to have the top in a different position, you pull over and make the appropriate change. The difference is that you might need to get out of the car to operate the manual top, but you simply press a switch with the automatic top.

I have an E36 convertible with a semi-automatic top, but I have to get out to make sure the window is not crinkled and I have to push the top's material away from the hard cover that closes over the stowage compartment. Personally, I encourage you to consider the 4-seater convertibles. My wife and I went to Fry's to buy some computer stuff, and if we had a Z3 or Z4, our computer and flat panel monitor would not have fit in the car, driving a

3 Series with the top down allowed us to put stuff in the backseat taht would not fit in the trunk. Just a thought ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Z4 top can be raised and lowered on the move. You have to have your foot on the brake pedal when you first press the button, but you can start driving once the top begins moving. I've only done this at parking lot speeds, never on the road.

You can remain sitting with the manual top as well, you don't have to get out to adjust anything, and since the rear window is glass there are no crinkling issues. Also, the front of the Z4 top is solid and acts as the tonneau (cover), so there's no need to raise or lower one to stow the top.

The Z4 has considerably more storage capacity than the Z3. It would have to be a really large flat panel display not to fit. But that is still a valid concern if the Z4 is to be an only car. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

Well duh! I'm sure that the top would act alot like a parachute, except the car would not slow down very much at the top was torn away from the roof structure.

That's cool. The Z is apparently much different than the 3 Series. I wasn't aware that the top could be operated while seated.

I've got the 4-seater 3 Series convertible, but it's trunk-challenged when it comes to stowing a flat panel that is still in it's box. The box would easily fit into the trunk of a sedan or coupe, but the storage space for the top intrudes into the trunk, and this restricts verticle space significantly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Benefit of it being a two-seater - when down, the top is about 6 inches behind you. Oh, and I checked on the trunk/boot space: the Z4 has 9.2 cubic feet, the E36 convertible has 8.9. That doesn't include the latter's rear seating capacity. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

E Brown said

Thanks for all the comments folks. This is just what I was looking for. I'm still undecided but now I have some "experienced" info to further consider.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Z_Hunter

"Z_Hunter" wrote in message news:Xns9898C3C38FCE4weftyds@204.153.244.170...

If you are still undecided, I'd like to express the pure pleasure I've had with both of my BMW cars. I put 125,000 on my first one that I drove for 5 years. It was totalled due to the poor driving habits of another coming from the other direction. I bought my second 3 Series a year and a half ago and changed employment, so I do not put the miles on like I used to. My convertible is purely a weekend car -- my toy, if you will. I need some repairs on the convertible top -- the back window has a crease where it folds and the vapor barrier material is coming out. Even with this normal wear, I predict that this car will give me the lowest cost of ownership that I've ever encountered in all of the cars that I've owned. Servicing the brake system -- replacing pads and rotors -- is perhaps the easiest of any car I've owned. I replaced my own radiator in the first BMW, very easy. I figured out how to repair the sun roof -- pretty easy once I found the majic nuts that held the roof panel in place. The only service my car needed that I could not perform was a clutch replacement after 205,000 miles on the original clutch. Frankly, I've not found any fault with either of my BMW cars that required a factory technician -- other than the clutch. I've been so impressed with ease of service on my two E36 cars that I bought an E46 car for my 20-year old daughter. Driving the cars is by far the most pleasant driving experience I've ever had, and my father was a used car dealer when I was a kid so I've driven lots of different cars.

I like the style of the Z4, but I like the space of the 330ci better. Get a BMW and drive happy my friend. It is truly the Ultimate Driving Experience, not to mention the ultimate ownership experience.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland said

I've pretty much decided on a Z4.

I've been a GM customer for years but their quality is just too low and their style is just too lacking. The last straw was when I was replacing the intake manifold gasket (MonteCarlo, GM 3100, req'd at ~36K+) and observed the numerous angles between the intake-to-block, intake-to-head, rocker-to-head surfaces.... and realized this poor design was being propagated numerous years after it's undeniable discovery. I'd had enough.

Another Monte will cost me $25k. A '05 Z4 with 15k miles will cost ~ $30k. Not an apples to apples comparison - but these are my chosen alternatives.

I also drove a Miata, Solstice, and soon a Honda 2000. This was just a formality of course.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Z_Hunter

Eh? Remember that the Z4 is much bigger than the Z3.

A powertop is much, much better than a manual one. It's warmer, quicker when it's raining and looks cool when you come to using it. You don't have to fiddle with it and it's less likely to leak.

Besides - you will really struggle to find a Z4 with a manual top.

Reply to
Sam Smith