1962 Cadillac Eldorado speedometer cable trouble?

Hi all...

I'm working on a 1962 Eldorado and have a problem maybe someone here could answer.

When I got the car, the speedometer cable was disconnected from the cluster. I reconnected it and of course it doesn't work. So I pulled the cable out and checked it while driving... not turning. I assume it's either the cable or something with the transmission.

The trans needed to be rebuilt anyway so while that was happening, I asked the shop to look at the speedo cable. They told me the cable was bad so I ordered a new cable. New cable finally came but is too short! So while I'm waiting for another...

I've removed the old cable and it looks just fine! When I turn it on one end the other end turns ok. Why would they think it was bad? What else can go wrong? I don't understand what could be going on. When I hook it up to the transmission sometimes it turns and sometimes it doesn't. Why? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the speedometer gear on the transmission??

Has anyone else had experience with speedometer cables like this? While I'm waiting for the new cable I'm going crazy thinking about it! Wondering if I really need it... or if something else is wrong. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles Scheffold

Eugene Blanchard

Hrmmm.... but it works sometimes when I wiggle the inner cable around. I'll probably have to wait for the new cable before I can really get to the bottom of this. Considering that the transmission was just completely rebuilt, I would expect that this part was checked out... at least I hope so. Especially since I had mentioned it ahead of time.

thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles Scheffold

Have you removed the inner cable and inspected the ends for damage/wear? Inside of the plstic gear could be reamed also.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Sounds like it. The gear could be missing some teeth or the socket that the cable plugs into could be worn out. If it's anything like my old '61 Ford, the gear is pretty easy to remove. If you need to replace it, you'll have to remove it anyway to make sure you buy the correct replacement. The number of teeth vary depending on the transmission and rear end.

George Patterson Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect. - Linus Torvalds, speaking about Linux.

Reply to
G.R. Patterson III

Ugh that's exactly what I'm afraid of... don't want to mess with the transmission since it was just rebuilt and would probably void the warranty. You don't know if there is any kind of oil seal on that gear is there? Unfortunately I have nothing in the shop manual about this.

I'll probably just have to wait for the new cable and see what happens. Worse case, I will bring it back to the transmission shop if replacing the cable doesn't fix it.

thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles Scheffold

See the post above by v8z in rec.autos.antique. It's been 25 years since I had to mess with one of these, but, IIRC, on my Ford, you removed one bolt and pulled the speedometer cable housing out of its socket in the transmission. That's the blue bolt in v8z's jpeg. The gear was plastic and was held onto the cable housing with a spring clip. There was some sort of gasket (probably an O-ring) on the end of the cable housing that kept it from leaking.

The gear had a square socket for the shaft. You couldn't see the condition of the socket until the gear was removed from the cable housing, and you couldn't do that until the cable housing was pulled from the tranny. As v8z says, the color of the gear could be used by the parts counter to determine the number of teeth. George Patterson Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect. - Linus Torvalds, speaking about Linux.

Reply to
G.R. Patterson III

Charles,

When you had the speedo cable out did you pull the cable out of the housing to see if it might be broken? It could be broken and the two ends could intermittently catch and make it appear to be working. You could buy a universal kit that you could cut to length and put an end on it like this, also.

Leon Rowell

Charles Scheffold wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

If the cable's broken, replace the housing as well. The broken cable end has probably scarred up the inside of the housing, and that damaged area will fray the replacement cable and cause it to break in short order.

George Patterson Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect. - Linus Torvalds, speaking about Linux.

Reply to
G.R. Patterson III

Yes, I pulled it back and forth from either end... looked fine. I've got a new cable on the way so I'll just have to wait and find out. :(

thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles Scheffold