1978 SedanDeVille Mint Worth HOT RODDING?

I own a 1978 Cadillac Sedan Deville in immaculate condition that runs EXCELLENT. It has 140,000 original miles and a 425 cu.in. engine. I am looking to build an old model "hot-rod" that's not seen every day. Would this vehicle qualify? If so what's involved and who can I turn to for engine/suspension and drive-train parts? It seems Caddy motors are a forgotten breed when it comes to performance upgrades. Is this because it shouldn't be done? I'm 37 and don't want a buzzing rice burner all the "kids" have. I appreciate American muscle and love the looks on peoples' faces when they see a 4,000 pound-plus car lighting its tires and taking off. I've heard it said that there is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT and I totally agree. Hitting the gas and going fast without waiting for a turbo to spool-up or worrying that your horizontally mounted motor/tranny combo in your fwd car is going to fall out is comforting. ANY ideas and/or suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Freddy snipped-for-privacy@goldiesplating.com

Reply to
Goldies Gold Plating

There is at least one company making performance parts for the Caddy motor, although they're not as cheap as for a SBC, IMHO the Caddy engine is way better. You have a '78 with a 425? I thought they were 500ci by then, or did they get smaller for fuel economy reasons? Anyway, what kind of parts are you looking for? How fast do you want to spend?

Personally I'd ditch the Caddy body and look for a 53-54 Studebaker to drop the engine in, but people have accused me of being a heathen before

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

there are lots of places to hot rod Cadillac motors !

Cad company 8.2 L at: www cad500parts.com

Maximum torque at:

www 500.cid.com

you should join classic cadillac chat at yahoo , lots of people with good ideas, from round the woild .

Karl

Reply to
Karl Rosell

appreciated!!!

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKS!!! Keep the ideas and info coming and I'll be going real fast, real soon!!!

appreciated!!!

Reply to
Goldies Gold Plating

There were a lot more than one of those "Studillac's" built. My roommate in college from Long Island owned one in 1954 when I was taking some post grad courses. It was a beast to drive, blew the doors of anything else on the road. The only problem was one had to be easy on the throttle or the yearend just tore loose. There was no such thing as a traction lock axle in those days and if he got on the throttle to hard the back wheel would break loose on one side then the other.

mike hunt

"Roy G. Bragg" wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

The Studilac was a Bill Frick innovation - from '53 to '55

Bill Frick Motors, Rockville Centre, New York. '53 Studilac did 0-60 in 8.7 and cost $1500 more than the stock V8 Stude.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

%1,500 was a lot of money in those days. The Starliner was only about $2,000 new and the Starlight coupe was even less. I liked the good old days, before the government got into the business of telling the manufactures how to make cars and long term warranties came into vogue. Now the average car cost $30,000 rather than $3,000 LOL

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.>

Reply to
MikeHunt

Sounds like a Great Idea to me! I have a 78 seville that I just love, I got the Car from Torrance California, the body and under carrage in mint, I'm a painted and repainted it when I bought it 12 years ago, it was original paint then, I replaced the entire drive train and suspension and brakes when I bought it.it came with a fuely olds engine that was totally trashed, I changed all the injectors,regulators,tps,temp and coolent sensors and still couldn't get it to run rightsothing newtoose it and found a olds 350 rocket

4 brrl . I totally rebuilt it with every nehe motor ouw, pistons,a hot cam high volume oil pimp, double roller chain aluminum intake,, all the good stuff, I was cofused whe we ran the numbers on the block . I came up as a 1969 olds 455 ho I took the motor out myself from a 1976 Buick, that was still owned by the original owners and had never changed the motor. When they be first bought the car they were told it was a 403, thats what I was looking for in the first place so thats what I ordered all my parts for a 403 , more weird shit, it was a 350 bore with a 403 crank. anyway after getting all that mess straightened out I finished the motor and stuck a new turbo 400 on the back with a 2000 stall speed converter. man does that thing ever launch now!! I can barly keep tires on it!! I love it all the caddy comforts and goes like stink. I've never had a car with such a wicked passing gear. and I've had some hot cars, gonna be buried in this one keepin it forever!
Reply to
john chevalier

"Thanks for the encouragement!!!" (this statement coming from me) AND: "I HATE you, I HATE you, I HATE you." (THIS coming from my girlfriend hehehe)....

Reply to
Goldies Gold Plating

Hey. Do me a favor and post pictures up in the CadillacForums.com image gallery. It's rare to see a 1978 Seville these days!

-------------------- Sal Collaziano The Online Community for Cadillac Owners and Enthusiasts

<colascione_s

xxxx My 78 Seville is now 100% Cadillac. I went the hard way and fitted a built 500 Cadillac with early swirl heads and 800 cfm carb.

3:08 cogs and fresh T-400 tranny. It's a total sleeper. Scary fast :-)

29

Reply to
SMITH29