1990 Digital dash dimming

My 1990 SDV has the digital dash. During the daylight hjours in certain sections of California, they require that you turn on your headlights during the daytime. When I do this, the digital dash
reduces the light intensity to the point that I can no longer read the speedomeer.
I had an 86 Ford Taurus that had the same problem. WHY DO THEY DO THIS??? It is stupid!!!! and dangerous, also.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to defeat the dash dimmer function?
Are you saying there isn't a rheostat to control the dash lite brightness? I had a '93 Sixty Special with digital display but it had a rheostat for lite intensity control.
--
Don
--------