1990 SDV DIGITAL DASH

My 1990 SDV has the digital dash. During the daylight hjours in certain sections of California, they require that you turn on your headlights during the daytime. When I do this, the digital dash
reduces the light intensity to the point that I can no longer read the speedomeer. I had an 86 Ford Tarus that had the same problem. WHY DO THEY DO THIS??? It is stupid!!!! and dangerous, also. Any comments?