1998 STS Electrical Motor near rear axel , What is it?

There is a motor of some kind that makes a lot of noise when we first start the car. It stays on for about 30 seconds shuts off and starts again for about a munute or more than shuts down for the duration of the trip.. It then repeats when car is started again. We can't hear it inside the car only when you open the door. I have gone to the rear of the car when the noise is going on and I can't tell exactly where or what motor is going on and off. Could it be a motor in the gas tank? I have no idea. TIA

Terry

snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com

Reply to
TGS

It might be the pump for the air shocks.

Don

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Would that be the air compressor for the auto leveling suspension system?

Reply to
fricfrac

I think you will find that it is the compressor for the air suspension on the rear shocks. Mdy 98' cycles on each time I start the vehicle as I remember and it is loud, it is more of a whirring sound.

Reply to
phatsts