65 Sedan Deville Stereo upgrade / retrofit

Hey Guys, I'm in the process of restoring my 65 Cadillac Sedan Deville and the time is here to address the sound system. I want to leave the factory AM/FM Radio intact & just leave it out of
my new install. I'm looking to install the amp and run a direct RCA > 1/8inch from a iPod or similar media device to the amp.. Cutting any head unit out of the equation. Have you guys seen this type of install before? Seems common and simple enough.. right? I'm also looking for a prebuilt trunk enclosure and speaker replacements for both the front dual mono's and the rears. Do you guys have any idea on the original factory sizes?
Just wanted to ask the experts - best regards, patrick schramm. ...............................................................................
On 7 Sep 2004 12:35:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (pschramm) wrote:

Anything that can drive the amplifier properly should work. This means the correct output voltage AND impedance. You need to know what the output is of the preamp you're using (in your case, you're using the iPod as a preamp), meaning it's output voltage range AND impedance. If these are within the input specs for the amp you're using, there's no reason it won't work.

Perhaps you'll want to custom build a trunk unit. That way, you can make something that won't look like your usual "grey carpeted gansta stereo" type stuff.... something that'll fit in with the car better, keeping more of a stock look. (That's if you're interested in stock looks.)
As for speakers, look on eBay. There's literrally hundreds of speakers available there, and I'm sure there's something that'll retro-fit yours. I don't think you could use the originals if you wanted to. Most GM cars us a speaker impedance that standard stereo equipment doesn't like. (If I recall correctly, 10 ohms.)

Just measure what you have. Measure the actual cone of the speaker, then measure the screw holes, since that'll be the most important thing. For instance, you can have a 6x9 speaker hole, but it might use a strange mounting like one screw each end (instead of the usual 4 screws). It's not that hard to find. Heck, I found replacements for my Edsel, so you shouldn't have a hard time either.
You can probably hide the input jack for the amp under the dash too, making for a nice stealth installation. Stereo gear is really easy. It's pretty much all about voltages and impedance, then comes down to "what fits". No real voodoo if you understand the basics. :-)
Be sure your alternator can deliver enough power for the amp to work properly too, especially when you've got the lights, wipers and heater motor running. (Which is a common situation.) Some of these new car stereos really pull a lot of current at full output.
~~R.Banks
Have you thought about an FM modulator that you could add to your factory system? I've seen these added to I-pods and MP-3's very easily. Today's FM modulaors take an input (could be RCA or 1/8th inch) and place it in the FM bamd. You select the frequency based on your local stations. Maybe Crutchfield dot com, partsexpress dot com, maybe even musiciansfriend dot com could help you. Place some new speakers in the factory spots and you could be rockin pretty cheap!

Not a bad idea. Then there's no chopping up a factory stereo. Keeps things looking more stock. (If that matters to a person.)
Radio Shack might also have such an item, perhaps cheaper than the others you mentioned.
~~R.Banks