96 SLS Dash Problem

When it has been cold out, my dash is dead and does not light up except for warning lights for SERVICE ENGINE SOON, ABS, and AIRBAG. When I try to start the car, it turns over, runs for a few seconds and then dies. If the all of the dash warning lights come on, then the car starts right up.

I happen to know when it won't start in the morning when I open the door and the interior lights won't come on. And after a couple of minutes with the key on the on position, the headlights will pop on, but the dash is still dead.

I've been able to start the car, drive a little ways and then have the dash flicker on and off or just stay off for a few minutes, then eventually have them flicker and then come back on. Of course, the car stays running (unlike my attempt to start it with a dead dash).

Any help would be appreciated.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

Tim Doran

Thanks, but I failed to mention that I have had the cluster replaced. I took it to a local Cadillac dealer who said that all they could find was there was corrosion in the battery cable. However, they want to charge me $141 for the cable and another $300 for the installation.

How hard is it to install a battery cable? I understand it's a two cable system and see that one runs underneath the intake to the starter, but I haven't seen where the other one runs.

Reply to
Tommy