Barr's Leak

I remember a discussion in this newsgroup about the pellets that are recommended you put in the cooling system when you do a flush and refill.
Many people said the pellets sold at GM Dealers are made by Barr's Leak and
you could safely just purchase a bottle or can of Barr's Leak and use it when refilling the system.
I am about to do this on a '94 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.9 engine, using plain Prestone antifeeze instead of the Dex-Cool, and just wanted to verify with the knowledgeable people here that the info I have in valid.
Thanks for the help..
What's a good reason for not using the GM pellets? The last I heard the pellets cost less than $10. If you do the work yourself it would be wise to save the receipt for whatever product you choose and make a note of the day you put it in the cooling system.
--
Don
2001 DHS

There is a Caddy engineer who posts on another board. He is adamant about using the GM or BarsLeaks product. He says it is mandatory in the 4.9 series and highly recommended in the Northstars. 6 pellets of the GM or 6 pellets of the BL HDC or 2 tubes of the BL G12BP. http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html It is my understanding that BL produces the GM product and that it is identical to the pellets sold under the BL banner. I don't imagine it matters much which you use as long as you use one of them. FWIW YMMV DFB
"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas