Battery drain

I have a 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with auto. Trans. The battery drains overnight. I have tried removing the fuses one by one with a volt meter connected between the negative batter post and the negative battery
cable. The volt meter kept a 12 volt reading which indicates that those circuits were working properly. This was done with the ignition switch in the off position. Is there any other checks that I can do, other than taking the car to the dealer, to try to locate the cause of the of the problem? Thank you very much.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.cadillac / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
Connect an amp meter in the same manner and see how many amps is being used.
Trunk lite? Leveling motor? Ashtray lite? Glove box lite?
--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Classic symptom of the battery itself going bad. Or the charging circuit is bad and it never really gets recharged. Or both.
The assumption you have made is actually the least likely cause.

And your methodology is flawed, possibly leading you to an erroneous conclusion. You need to have the meter set to read current, not voltage. A slight drain is normal; sorry, I don't know how much.
I suggest you take it to a battery store where they can check the battery itself and the charging system. These tests are usually free, on the hope that you will buy a battery from them if needed.
If all that checks out, you can look for excess drain when off. Usually a hood or trunk light that is stuck ON.......since those are things you can't observe when they are supposed to be OFF.
Good luck!