brake booster

I have a 2000 escalade, the brakes became very spongy, and air was leaking at the firewall where the rod goes into the booster. Do i need a new booster?

m>I have a 2000 escalade, the brakes became very spongy, and air was leaking m>at the firewall where the rod goes into the booster. Do i need a newm>booster? m>
When air leaks into the booster, vacuum, therefore vacuum-assist decreases, leading to a *harder* pedal feel.
However, if air gets into the hydraulic system, or the MC is failing, that can show up as spongy brakes. There could be other reasons as well.