"Check Oil Cap" on display gauge

I have a 2001 Seville STS and it has a terrible smell of gas that i the most potent right after i fill up. I've replace my gas cap an fuel fill neck thinking there might've been a crack in the neck, bu
no difference. I was told to check my fuel pump which is accesibl from the trunk but I have no idea what I'm looking for. There ar 85,000 miles on the car and I'm wondering if I should just have i taken in and diagnosed. Any help whatsoever would be awesome
This may help; Cadillac recommends not to overfill the tank, when the fuel hose clicks off, stop.
--
Don
Vancouver, USA

YES, by all means...........and REAL soon !!!
P.S. No smoking in or near the car until it is fixed.