decent wide whitewall sought for 1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

Page 2 of 2

The FR721 was $71 in P235/75R15 (bigger than my car needs) and that was only 4 years ago. Maybe $90 I could understand today but not 200.
What happened (trend-wise) that whitewalls are no longer in style? Years ago practically all cars has whitewall tires. Now hardly any do. Are people just lazy and they don't want to clean them? (True: those "tire shine" products do only that; they don't really CLEAN much of anything, certainly not a white wall).
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:23:42 -0700 (PDT), The Derfer

Firestone has the FR380 still which has a whitewall though not a huge one. Decent price. Kauffman tire has them under their private label as well. I don't think anyone outside the specialty shops have a wide white anymore.... Sucks for those of us with old cars.
Steve B.
Does anyone know if the Toyo Spectrum in P225/75R15 has a decent-sized whitewall? Can't find pictures of that exact size.

No, but a 225/70-15 Sumitomo HTR-200 has quite a wide whitewall. It's well over an inch in width, looks like it takes up almost one-third of the sidewall. It's definitely on the wider side of whitewalls that I've seen, short of the full deal. I know it's a bit smaller than what you're looking for, although the load rating should be fine.
It's got very good traction in dry and wet, and it's pretty quite. Downsides include zippo traction in snow or on wet grass/mud, and I find it wears fairly quickly. It's the OEM size for my '78 Trans Am (well, it's the closest equivalent to a GR70-15) and I'm on my second set of them. Tire Rack used to sell them; I don't know who carries them these days.
....Ed
Can't find those anywhere. Might be discontinued.

They're still in Sumitomo's catalogue: http://www.sumitomotire.com/catalogs/pdf/Sumitomo_Passenger.pdf on page 7. The "slim" whitewall is a lot more than slim. I have the whitewalls inside, because it's a Trans Am.)
You could try asking Sumitomo who might carry it. Tire Rack still had some stock available when I got the second set a few years ago. I'm in Canada, and I'm pretty sure that I could never get this size locally. I wonder what inspired Sumitomo to make this tire; is there some performance/luxury Japanese car that takes these tires?
....Ed