Fuel Gage 1999 Deville

I have noted recently when first starting the car the AC comes on blowing cold for about a minute, then stops totally for a few seconds and then resumes working as it should. Last night I noted when the AC stopped the fuel gage went from 5 gallons to full. A few moments later when the AC resumed, the fuel gage remained at full, then slowly came down to 13 gallons (about 10 minutes later).

I am guessing it is a problem common to both matters, and wonder if it might be associated to a recent battery failure. My wife was caught in a parking lot with as stone dead battery. Several attempts were made by good Samaritans to get her car jump started and I am wondering if the cables might have been inadvertently reversed????

Any ideas where to start on this one???????

Roger, In Abilene, TX.

Reply to
Roger Jensen

"Roger Jensen" wrote

It may not be as bad as you think. OTOH, it might be worse ;-)

Everything is "computer" controlled. Now that you have a healthy battery, it is possible that the computer(s) need a hard reset. It is also possible that you have a bad connection to the battery or to ground. Alas, only a dealer or competent shop that specializes in GM will be able to tell for sure.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Ken,

After giving consideration to your suggestion, I disconnected the battery, then shorted the leads over night with the ignition switch in the on position. My thoughts were that it might in fact drain any residual current in the computer(s). Now whether or not shorting the leads had anything to do with it, the entire matter seems to be resolved. I re-connected the battery this morning, started the car, the gas gage went to 17 gallons, I am confident that is correct, and after driving it on two short runs, the AC remained rock solid and the gage did not falter. Did a double duty cleaning/ checking of the cables, there may have also been something associated to the ground as you suggested, though everything looked very right.

Still driving with fingers crossed, but feeling fairly confident the matter is resolved.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestion,

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jensen