heavy-duty shocks for 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham?

I take my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham [RWD] on some of the nastiest city roads: potholes, speedbumps, cracks ... you name it. Highways too, same problem.
What is the best heavy-duty [rear] shocks I can buy to wishstand the conditions I describe? Is a police-caliber shock advisable? I'm looking for the usual "couch-on-wheels" smooth ride but am willing to sacrifice comfort for strength in this case. It got so bad that my trunk would pop open on bad bumps. Major annoying.
snipped-for-privacy@deslab.MIT.edu

Depends on if you have air shocks in the back or not. They were optional in '95 and may have been in '96 as well.
My daily driver is a '95 Fleetwood that does have the rear air shocks. I just have the el-cheapo Gabriels from the discount place installed and they work fine. Load leveling comressor went out about six months ago and was replaced with the fill valve that came with the load levelers.
If you don't have load leveling in the back then KYB is my personal favorite (they don't make a replacement for the load leveling). Also note that load leveling uses different springs so you can't just replace with regular shocks and get a good ride.
Steve B.
After market shocks and struts have traditionally been designed for a mushy ride because that is what most people want. I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago to find that Gabriel has a line of "sport suspension" struts for many vehicles that have a much firmer ride, and for the same price as the standard strut. In the days before MacPherson struts I found that the cheap discount shocks road firmer than the expensive shocks that had all the fancy valves that gave a softer ride.
"F. Baker" wrote:

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.