Help with theSmell of Gas

I have a 1996 Fleetwood Brghm. 66000 miles. owned it since day one. i get a smell of gas intermittantly and only when it is cold (like after being in the garage for a week). it goes away after the car has wormed up. the dealership could not trace it. a private repair shop discovered that the flange on top of the tank (where the fuel pump and float assembly attaches) was warped. we had a new tank put in, they changed the fuel filter, the fuel lines, checked the manifold for cracks, etc. it went away, then as before, without anything happening to the vehicle, or any work done on it, it comes back every now and then!!!. any ideas?!!

Reply to
asa1

Might have the choke assembly looked at.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

" snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net" wrote in news:TbfOc.18$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Yes. That's normal.

Under the hood there is a round charcoal container with hoses on the top and an internal diaphragm. One hose goes through a solenoid valve to the manifold and another goes to the vapor space above the gas in the gas tank, the tank being sealed. I forgot the govt acronym, but the purpose is to reclaim the gasoline vapors from the tank. When the engine is running, the engine sucks the vapors from the tank (and the charcoal, which refeshes the charcoal) and burns them. When the car is not running, the charcoal adsorbs the vapors. The charcoal can only hold so much gas vapor and after a few days any overflow goes into the air. You can't seal it up because you don't want pressure or vacuum in the gas tank. The system depends on the car being run frequently. If it sits up, you smell gas. The fumes won't catch fire. No real problem.

Reply to
SpaceButler