Need to replace 1970 Eldorado starter

I need to replace the starter on my 1970 Eldorado. I start the car, the engine takes a second or two to try to start, then I get a sort of electric hissing.
But on this car, where IS the starter Motor? I know what it looks like but why's it so tough to get to?

Look, I dont know specifically, but in those years, almost all the starters were installed into the bell housing of the tranny. Go to the back of the engine, where it connects to the tranny, and look there.
I dont know about the hissing, but check all the cables up to the starter, and pull the starter and have it checked by a loca. starter/generator shop.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 17:06:22 -0800 (PST), The Derfer wrote:

It should be on the end of the fat cable from the battery post.

The Derfer wrote:

If it is turning over at first then stops turning over it isn't the starter.
Sounds more like you have a bad connection in the system. Probably a bad battery cable feeding the starter. If you can hear the "hissing" it is probably the connection on the battery end.
It's on the front side of the engine usually has a cover over it as well.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

Well i don't know that you can take his description too literally. The problem he may be having is a slipping bendix clutch. The "hissing" might be the high speed whine of the starter as it spins out.
-jim

I finally got the car started but only after about 100 tries. I'd try to start it as described earlier and the engine would try to turn over but then would abruptly stop that and commence what I could only describe as a sort of electric hiss, after which it would not try to engage the engine any longer.
So after nearly 100 bad starts it finally turned the engine over and I took the car for a spin of several miles. The next day it took 2-3 tries to turn the engine over, the first 1 or 2 tries almost doing it but not quite.
Does this shed light on the problem for anyone?

And each time you were doing additional damage to your flywheel, no doubt.

I'd pull the starter, inspect the flywheel, and get the starter bench-tested.

No, because you haven't done any of the things needed for diagnosis. --scott