Pre ~1995 OnStar

The other day I received a letter from the OnStar folks announcing that the analog radio equipment in ~1995 and earlier vehicles equipped with OnStar will no longer work after the first of 2008. Seems the network will switch to digital at that time.

Goodbye car phone, remote analysis, remote door unlock etc. and anti auto theft GPS. But the little blue light on the visor will still glow! :-)

Anyone hear of a retrofit unit?

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Did it say if units around 2002 would work?? I have a 02 seville sts and wanted to know if it would be compatible.

Reply to
Matthew

Sorry about the error. It should have read "~2005 and earlier...."

I have a 2001 Deville DHS.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

"Don Schmidt" > Sorry about the error. It should have read "~2005 and earlier...."

I have a 2006 DTS... no problem right?

I do however have an acquaintance that has a 2002 Buick LeSabre. Probably reasonable to assume that they will be out of luck starting in 2008? They are elderly and rely upon Onstar.

Reply to
rmarksberry

Your friends will have to check with their dealer. SOME 2002 cars are able to be upgraded, but not all per my local Caddy dealer. If their car can be upgraded, it will cost them $15 for the equipment plus an additional 1 year subscription to Onstar. My 2004 Deville is being upgraded under these terms next week.

Reply to
John Carpenter

John,

If the same can be done for my 2001 Deville you've posted some good news for this ol soul.

Thanks for the post.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Don,

Not to be a grinch, but based on what the Caddy dealer told me, NO 2001 cars will be able to be upgraded as they were strictly analog only. Some models started being equipped with analog/digital ready units in 2002. If your unit wasn't factory installed as analog/digital ready, it appears you will lose Onstar functionality.

I would call the service folks at your local dealer - they have a "cheat" sheet with ALL of the information on this change they keep in their desks - my dealer says they are doing about 10 conversions a week,, so they need to have updated correct information instantly available. Give them a call and best of luck.

Hell of a way to be "coerced" into buying a newer car, isn't it?

Reply to
John Carpenter

John,

Your post got my curiosity up and I chatted with the OnStar and my local Cad dealer and both confirmed my 2001 Deville could be upgraded from analog only to dual analog, digital under the "$15 + 2 year deal". My current OnStar contract is up June 11 and I'll make an appointment around June 1 and the "good" or "bad" news will then be known.

Fingers crossed.

Take care,

Reply to
Don Schmidt