Speedometer wire?

BlankHi I have a 1985 Cadillac Cimarron. Ok I know. Hardly worth to be called a Cadillac. But anyway... Here is my problem: There is a squeaking sound from the speedometer wire (if that is the right word for it, you know what I mean) when I drive. How can I get to the wire so I can grease (oil) the wire? It's just a lot of dashboard in the way!
Thankful for all the help I can get.
Roger
Speedometer cable is the term. Yes, it turns inside its casing and eventually needs some lubrication with very light oil, but consider that the speedometer itself may be the source of the noise since it has rotating parts too. A speedometer cable in need of lubrication often makes the speedometer needle jerk up and down as the cable sticks and releases, sticks and releases. You don't comment on that so the speedometer itself may be the problem.
If you can't get to the cable by reaching up to it from behind the dash then removing the instrument cluster is the alternative.
Thanks ... and yes the speedometer needle is jerking up and down. I'm going to do a new attempt to reach the cable. It's sure irritating so one way or another I have to get rid of the sound.
Roger

Take a look under the hood for a possible link in the speedometer cable. You may be able to open the link, remove the cable, lube it and replace it there.
--
Don
Vancouver USA
Roger wrote:

================== There's an adaptor made for grease guns that screw onto the cable from the transmission side of the cable, allowing you to easily grease it with a grease gun.
check w/NAPA
BlankHi I just want to tell you guys that I was able to unscrew the speedometer cable at it's connection on the transmission under the hood. It was hard to reach but not impossible. With the cable lose I could turn it "upside down" and "fill" it with a thin oil. And the sound is gone! (At least for now!). Thanks for all the tips.
Roger
R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm6sq2 7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYrPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw= ------=