strange front end noise in 96 DeVille

I have a 96 DeVille. I have been getting a rattling noise, but only on a bumpy road that sounds like a loose muffler. But it is coming from the passengers front side. I was told it may be a cap bearing for the front
shock. Somewhere in here was a question about this matter. Has anyone had this problem and would you know how to fix it. There was a answer to this but now I can't find it. It had something to do with lifting the hood and removing something and listening for a unusual noise. The dealer said it was a high dollar fix, but others said it was something I could do for under $100. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you all. Bob
check the hubcap, they have been known to rattle.