synthetic oil for 1970 Eldorado; what grade?

Page 2 of 2
I use Mobil-1 10w30 in all my 60s and 70s vehicles, from a '69 high-performance 440 to a '73 grocery-chasing 318. If it were higher mileage and getting a little loose, I might go to 15w50, but there's no
need if the engine is in good condition.
10w40 doesn't exist in Mobil 1, and generally isn't recommended because it needs more viscosity modifiers than either 10w30 or 15w50.
F. Baker wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Steve wrote:

1) Mobil-1 10w40:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_10W-40.aspx
2) The "too much VII causes sludge, so don't use this grade" caution applies to petroleum 10w40 and 10w50 oils, but not synthetics.
DS

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_10W-40.aspx
The link that you point to is for the NEW Mobil 1 extended performance oils. These are not widely available yet. Regular Mobil 1 in the U.S. does not exist in 10W40. There are no experts on motor oil or filters. Use whatever you like or what you can afford. If all else fails read your owners manual. Most motor vehicles will run no matter what brand or type of oil you put in. Just make sure there is some in it and you change it every once in awhile.

I feel there are experts out there, but the information doesn't seem to be readily available....or even difficultly available. We hear a lot of claims and hype, but little or no actual data to back anything up.
HLS wrote:

There are experts, and it is readily available:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Oh, you mean self proclaimed internet experts?? What brand of motor oil or filter do any of the motor vehicle manufacturers tell you not to buy?? They recommend on the basis of weight and rating, not opinion...
Edward Strauss wrote:

Why don't you actually READ the site? Yes, there are opinions thrown back and forth, but people also post the results of their oil analyses that are done by places like Blackstone Labs. That website happens to be one spot where you can see how lots of different oils hold up in lots of different types of vehicles. Yes, opinion is present on that site, but there is far more quantitative analytical data there than I ever see here.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Edward Strauss wrote:

The kind that's not API-approved and the kind that doesn't meet OEM specifications, respectively.
Next predictably-dumb question, Strauss?
With regard to your last sentence.....
Try to be nice! Are you possibly pontificating profusely "on the basis of weight and rating, not opinion..."? How well do you predict? Are you into stock brokering perhaps?
Just an observation of your vitriol. Nothing personal.
"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

If only you would learn to read... I asked what BRAND of motor oil or filter. See if you can Google the answer.

I've been there before. It is a step in the right direction, but not authoritative information.
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_10W-40.aspx
Interesting... I've NEVER seen it on ANY store shelf. 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, and 15w50 are always stocked, and sometimes that goofy 5w20 that Ford was/is calling for in some applications. But I've literally never seen Mobil 1 10w40, and I've passed down the oil aisle of a lot of parts stores, too... Of course this may be part of the new Mobil oil line-up, because I see that 15w50 is now only shown as being available in the "Mobil 1 Extended Performance" line, not the "Mobil 1" line.

Synthetic oils sometimes use viscosity modifiers too, it is a myth that they don't. They do normslly require LESS viscosity modifier to achieve a given viscosity range, and in fact Mobil 1 10w30 and 15w50 contained NONE the last time I researched it. But the wider-range oils like 0w30 and 5w30 do contain some (although less than an old hydrocracked 10w30 might have) and its quite likely that a synthetic 10w40 contains less than a hydrocracked 10w30 too. But 10w40 is a pretty useless grade to fool around with when modifier-free 10w30 and 15w50 are available.
Steve wrote:

I've also heard that Mobil 1 (and perhaps other synthetics) use a more stable (read more expensive) VI improver, which can be justified due to the high cost.