Thread type

We are restoring a 1903 Cadillac and are trying to make a part that fits a thread on the end of the main crank. This thread measures up at 1" x 16
tpi.(It is in poor condition). I have machined a 1" x 16 tpi thread on a lathe but the diameter was too large, so I have nugged the lathe cross-slide in, untill the thread fits. It now comes out some where nearer 31/32" x 16 tpi. A look through the engineering books on this side of the Atlantic does not show an obvious thread type, the nearest I can find is 1"-16 UN. But the UN series did not come in until 1948.
I have been told that there is/was a "American National 16 Series Thread" but can't find any data. Can any of you Guys help.....Also is the thread angle 55 or 60 degrees?
What threads did Cadillac use in 1903?
Thanks.....ttfn.....Alistair
: Alistair S Ross.
: : I have been told that there is/was a "American National 16 Series Thread" : but can't find any data.
did you try this? http://www.sizes.com/tools/thread_NCNF.htm