1970 Camaro steering column adjustment ?

Guys, I run a 1970 Camaro and have noticed the steering column has play along it's axis ( you can pull it towards you and push it away ). This movement is about half an inch and I would very much like to adjust it for
no play if possible. So if anybody knows if this can be done and how I'd be thankful for a post back to this group. For info the steering wheel is tight on the column. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Regards,
Steve de Sainte Croix. England.
it needs rebuilt

Got to agree there, rebuilding the column is your best option, as I feel it's also safe to assume that there's not a great wealth of usable scrap '70's lying about your local auto haulaway.
ElectroPig wrote:

time, there is a clamp that rides against the tube in the engine compartment that keeps that from happening. I have seen lots of them where this tube (plastic or something like that) has worn and the clamp must be loosened and moved up to remove the play. That may or may not be a pretty permanent fix for the problem. But that worked on my 71 Vega, which shared a lot of technology types with other Chevys of the time.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer