1980 Z28 speedo and (now) tach problem

to anyone with a little more mechanical experience than me, how do you figure out whats wrong with a speedometer(doesnt move) and fix the problem yourself? (it is connected to the speedometer on the instrument
panel)
also, i removed a viper 300 alarm system that was on the car when i bought it (anybody want the stupid thing before i run it over?) and now the tach is stuck at 3 grand. taking out the viper system was a pain but im almost positive all the wiring is ok. does anyone know how i can either rewire the tach by itself directly to the battery or how i can fix that problem how it is?
will a car pass a Massachusetts inspection sticker if the tach and the speedometer dont work?
80 Z-28 work wrote:

Probably not related. The speedo is driven by a cable while the tach is electrical. Since your car is emissions exempt in MA, I don't think it will matter to the inspector.
either your speedo cable is twisted in two, or the gear on the transmission end is stripped or broken off/rOn 16 Nov 2006 21:57:48